*** The Official 2019 MSI GS65 Stealth with RTX GPUs Owners and Discussions Lounge ***

Discussion in 'MSI Reviews & Owners' Lounges' started by JRey, Jan 25, 2019.

1. xLima

xLima Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    This is odd, so after messing around with my RAM timings, I decided to test in FireStrike and as expected got better scores. So since I was testing this, i figured hey why not try increasing my MSI AB memory clock value as well.

Previously I had test 225 core, 250 memory and was stable, anything higher on memory would crash or exit the FS benchmark.

So I said, **** it and moved the memory slider to 500 and it didnt crash, 800 - all good, 1000 - all good, 1100, 1200, 1300 BOOM stable with increased results.

I don't know how I went from +250 memory being the highest/stable I could get to now reaching +1300 memory, the only thing that has changed GPU wise is drivers, so using the latest NVIDIA drivers.

Has anyone seen this before? Insane jump in memory OC, just following driver updates?

My graphics scores went from 17625 to 17837

https://www.3dmark.com/3dm/36343557

This is Single Channel, I am planning non buying another 16 gb 2666 SODIMM stick.

2. Falkentyne

Falkentyne Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    Error correction?
    If your memory were actually +1000, your graphics score I would think would have gone up by far over 500 points, possibly about 1000 points.
    Go back to 0 mhz on the memory, test, and record your graphics score.
    then increase memory 50 mhz at a time, test and record.
    keep doing this all the way up to 1,000, going 50 at a time. Yes it will take awhile, but at least that will tell you whats going on.

Kevin@GenTechPC likes this.
  3. kshnandi

kshnandi Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Does anyone have a problems with their keyboard RGB? I think I have green led failure on 5 of them.

4. xLima

Reputations:
    This happened to 3 of my keys after about 8 months. Funny thing is I actually don't use the RGB. So not quite sure when it died out. One day I just decided to try it and.... Suprise!

Sent from my BLA-L09 using Tapatalk

5. MrDanteZ

MrDanteZ Newbie

Reputations:
    Has anyone noticed battery drain when the laptop is off? Im noticing about 3% per day

hmscott likes this.
  6. hmscott

hmscott Notebook Nobel Laureate

Reputations:
    Try hibernation or shutdown completely instead of sleep? Or is that with the laptop OS "shutdown" completely?, you didn't say explicitly. Maybe check BIOS options for any quick on wake features (mouse, network, keyboard) turn off all options that could draw power while shutdown.

Last edited: May 27, 2019
  7. kshnandi

Reputations:
    Same, I don't use the RGB either, but I do use the plain orange keyboard present. And now there are reds popping here and there :(

8. xLima

Reputations:
    This is the RTX version?

Sent from my BLA-L09 using Tapatalk

9. kshnandi

Reputations:
    Yep. RTX version with the 2060.

10. N123

N123 Notebook Geek

Reputations:
    Just wanted to confirm for anyone who is looking to upgrade their MSI GS65 8SE (best buy version):

Cloning the stock kingston SSD to an inland premium 1tb nvme (3K sequential reads and writes, microcenter brand https://www.microcenter.com/product...80-pcie-nvme-30-x4-internal-solid-state-drive) went flawlessly with the free version of easeus todo backup and the latter is now my boot drive and the old kingston ssd will be used to store games/etc.

Also, adding the unmatched Crucial 16gb stick of ram ( https://www.microcenter.com/product/503200/16gb-ddr4-2666-mhz-sodimm-memory-module ) works just fine in dual channel with the stock 16gb stick of ram that came with the unit . . .

Thanks for the help everyone,
    N123