*** The Official 2019 MSI GS65 Stealth with RTX GPUs Owners and Discussions Lounge ***

Discussion in 'MSI Reviews & Owners' Lounges' started by JRey, Jan 25, 2019.

1. Shoehorn

Shoehorn Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    I did the same thing with my second ssd with Easeus todo backup. Just make sure you select "optimize for ssd" if that's an option. The cloned drive won't boot correctly without it.

Mismatched ram should be fine if the timings are remotely close. If the timings on the faster stick change to match the slower one, you can change the timings from the advanced bios menu. In fact, there's no reason not to try overclocking the ram while you're at it.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

N123 likes this.
  2. eigerandra

eigerandra Newbie

Reputations:
    Hey all,

I tried to flash the Asus 90w 2060 bios and it worked nicely. However, when I tried to run the afterbuner OC scanner with the new bios, the system always crashes and shows blue screen with "video TDR failure" error. Does anybody know what is the reason that causes this, and possibly the fix? Was it necessary to do the "limiting the wattage pulled" step also after flashing the new bios?

Thanks!

3. Shoehorn

Shoehorn Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    You don't need to limit the wattage going from 80 to 90W. They are physically the same card. TDR failure is basically a GPU communication breakdown, so I'd first try gaming without Afterburner for a bit to see if you get the same error. If it runs fine without Afterburner, reinstall AB, then try just upping the core by 150 or so. Iirc, you're using the same vbios I did and while I didn't do OC scanner, my gs runs fine with a custom curve (+220 at the lowest frequency, reducing the oc by 1-3pts each control point onward until 2,000MHz, then flat from there.) and +1500 on the memory. You can tell which frequency/voltage combo causes failure by watching the RTSS overlay during a benchmark. Whatever it freezes on is the point you have to change in AB.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

eigerandra likes this.
  4. ryzeki

ryzeki Super Moderator Super Moderator

Reputations:
    I personally prefer a fresh windows install and I just copy my important files. More often than not, I carry over issues when backing up/cloning, but that's just me.

In theory, you shouldn't experience much issues with RAM but in some cases you will have instability. But you should definitely test and check how the system behaves, run some games, some benches to check stability.

custom90gt and N123 like this.
  5. keefypants

keefypants Newbie

Reputations:
    I've read that previous models of the stealth unofficially supported g-sync. Is this still the case with the 2019/RTX msi stealth laptops?

6. ryzeki

ryzeki Super Moderator Super Moderator

Reputations:
    Not sure. Out of the box this doesn't support it because of optimus, but there is a possibility it could be enabled via software, but for this is all rumors for the time being.

It would be great though.

Dannemand likes this.
  7. adanlaptop

adanlaptop Newbie

Reputations:
    Hello guys,

I recently purchased an MSI GS65 8SE (RTX 2060) @hidevolution and I was wondering if the "power limit" that I'm seeing using MSI afterburner is normal.

[​IMG]

and also, what fan speed curve settings do you recommend?

Thank you!

8. xLima

xLima Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Yes that's normal

As far as fan, I game on cooler boost (+150%) and regular use I use AUTO (I use silent options.exe for fan control)

Sent from my BLA-L09 using Tapatalk

adanlaptop likes this.
  9. adanlaptop

adanlaptop Newbie

Reputations:
    Thank you!

Is there any particular reason you don't use dragon center to control that?

10. xLima

xLima Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Conflicts with Throttlestop.

Sent from my BLA-L09 using Tapatalk

adanlaptop likes this.