*** The Official 2019 MSI GS65 Stealth with RTX GPUs Owners and Discussions Lounge ***

Discussion in 'MSI Reviews & Owners' Lounges' started by JRey, Jan 25, 2019.

1. xSca

xSca Newbie

Reputations:
    Congrats on your new purchase!

Glad to hear I'm not the only one who keeps laptops around 4 or more years. My previous was actually a 2011 15" MBP that I overhauled a couple of times but it just kept truckin' along somehow. Definitely looking to keep the MSI for a while and be able to play games too.

kshnandi likes this.
  2. xLima

xLima Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    +1

My last laptop had a GTX 360M...

Sent from my BLA-L09 using Tapatalk

xSca and kshnandi like this.
  3. DEFBAT

DEFBAT Newbie

Reputations:
    I saw a review where the person could only get -0.50 on his new 9750H. As everyone else agrees, it's a lottery. Best of luck to you.

Gr4dy likes this.
  4. Michael A. Saldana

Michael A. Saldana Notebook Geek

Reputations:
    I saw this video this about nvidia optimus this morning and I found it very interesting

I didn't know that optimus had that much overhead, that being said is there anything we can do to try to mitigate this? I recall before nvidia officially supported freesync there was a work around with a ryzen APU and I think I saw a video with it that was showing barely any overhead required for a similar method like that. Just curious

5. Gr4dy

Gr4dy Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Thank you. Yeah, I figured it was the lottery for this. I'm not too overly concerned about my temps. At idle my CPU sits around 50C. Under load, it pegs around 77-78C with an undervolt of -0.125 and an EPP of 63. My turbo clocks are still down-clocked to 34/34/33/33/32/32(6 cores) on performance. However, in saying that, I'd love to get my CPU closer to 70C under full load. My GPU never seems to go over 70C when gaming on very high graphic settings.

Last edited: May 8, 2019
  6. kshnandi

kshnandi Notebook Geek

Reputations:
    Folks, I think there is something wrong with my keyboard lights. I usually use the plain orange back light preset. Since today, the key for numeric "4" has become red. I tried different color combinations and the numeric key 4 is always giving incorrect colors. Eg, for white, it gives pink.

Do you think the keyboard needs to be replaced?

7. Thysanoptera

Thysanoptera Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Looks like I will have to reinstall the whole system after all. Still can't get 2060 to power down while not in use, the best I can get is 5W if I allow something small to run on dGPU, if the 2060 shows as 'inactive' or is disabled in device manager it pulls 20-30W. But on top of that just noticed some weird problem with vsync. Forcing vsync from Nvidia Control Panel does absolutely nothing, if I select it inside the game settings the framerate drops to the monitor frequency, but still renders all the frames, as if 'fast sync' was enabled. So I'm running let's say World of Tanks at 60 fps while the dGPU power usage is 80W. If I limit the frames, using Nvidia Inspector or Whisper Mode, same 60 fps requires 30W. I'll probably put Vega in my eGPU, I'm 100% sure this whole thing got messed up while I loaded the 2080Ti drivers.

8. Neothane

Neothane Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    I have not done any tweaking with IMON Slope. I don't know what to set the values to as I have no experience in that area.

What do you mean by "I was getting too high temps I ended up reverting it". Does that mean you reverted back the original IMON Slope setting because the temps went too high with it being tweaked?

What configuration is active on the screenshot you provided? To me that is ideal 91C with no throttling. I did notice that your clock speed is 3.3GHz and not 3.8 but your multiplier still shows 41T. I am not sure why that is. Is this a GS65 8SG? What are you fan speeds set to?

If you tweaked your BIOS, could you send screenshots of what you changed? I would love to get what you have been able to obtain.

9. ryzeki

ryzeki Super Moderator Super Moderator

Reputations:
    Sorry I never replied. Work keeps me very busy lately. I will take a picture of my imon settings so you can see.

The IMON tweak's purpose is to fool the internal power readings by setting an offset. The point/objective in doing this is to trick intel's turbo power limit, by making the CPU think it is drawing less power than it really is, so you can run at turbo speeds indefinitely* (provided your thermals allow it...) so yeah you can run hotter with it as you run at full performance.

custom90gt likes this.
  10. Jesdga95

Jesdga95 Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Yeah, I had the IMON slope tweak that allows the CPU to run at 3.9 GHz indefinitely (instead of power throttling after 28 seconds), but my temps were too high. Clock speed is 3.4 GHz because it's power limit throttling. It's the 8SE, my fan speeds are a couple of pages ago basically 150% both cpu and gpu at max temps. I have a few tweaks:

* All of these: http://forum.notebookreview.com/thr...trol-of-the-i7-8750h-advanced-version.823065/
    * IA AC / DC loadline set to 1 (with -50 additional stable underclock in Throttlestop)
    * Disabled ASPM for PEG slot 0
    * GPU 90w bios and OC'd +175MHz core/+1023MHz mem
    * RAM OC to 3000 MHz

Last edited: May 9, 2019