*** The Official 2019 MSI GS65 Stealth with RTX GPUs Owners and Discussions Lounge ***

Discussion in 'MSI Reviews & Owners' Lounges' started by JRey, Jan 25, 2019.

1. seanwee

seanwee Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Yeah, you can either call it 3.0, 3.1 gen 1 or 3.2 gen. Doesn't matter, they're the same thing.

And that's the problem, manufacturers just list it as 3.0, 3.1 or 3.2 without saying which gen it is. Making it nigh impossible for consumers to tell which speed they are getting.

2. kshnandi

kshnandi Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    So
    I looked through the data in their website. And they seem to mention USB 3.1 Gen2 *3

https://us.msi.com/Laptop/GS65-Stealth-8SX/Specification

Absolutely confused now.

3. seanwee

seanwee Notebook Deity

Reputations:
  4. kshnandi

Reputations:
    I agree, but then why is the device manager indication 3.0?

5. falldragon

falldragon Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    I didn't use that mod as feeding the CPU more power is just going to make fans spin faster/louder. Up to you though.

6. SpyCam

SpyCam Notebook Geek

Reputations:
    Guys, did any of you tried connecting 2 external DisplayPort monitors from mDP and USB C ports?

Is RTX 2060 capable of handling 2 monitors (4K and 2K) at the same time?

Last edited: Apr 14, 2019
  7. kshnandi

Reputations:
    Does anyone know how to solve this error?

"USB Suspend:USB Device not Entering Selective Suspend"

I got it while running the powercfg/energy.

My CPU is just stuck at C7. Never goes to C8. I have core parking enabled.

8. Divinated

Divinated Notebook Geek

Reputations:
    Honestly, i wouldn't go around messing with BIOS to much. Most of those settings are hardlocked into the board itself, so even when you change the value it actually doesn't keep it.
    For example, i changed the TDP limit for turbo in the BIOS from 45w, to 90w and the short power max from 90w to 180w. It changed the values, of course, but didn't supply more juice.
    Once you're in the BIOS the keys to press and hold are LEFT CTRL, LEFT SHIFT, RIGHT ALT, F2. I won't take responsibility for any damage you may do, and hopefully won't.
    If you find yourself stuck after messing around with options in there, while the computer is powered down press and hold the power button for 30-60 seconds. The computer will go to the boot screen then power down, keep the power button held. After about a minute, press the power button to boot up. The computer will go through 3 phases as it resets all the BIOS option to factory default. Let it do this, it will boot on and off a couple times until it boots to the OS.
    To save you some time, the temp at which the CPU fan will turn on to 75% is 71 Celsius, thermal throttling begins at 94 and critical shutdown is 119 (if the chip hasn't melted by then lol)

9. Thysanoptera

Thysanoptera Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Is anybody using drivers from Nvidia website? They keep the dGPU in high power state, I'm getting like idle temps in 50C. Nothing is running on dGPU, even more - I can disable dGPu in device manager, it still heats up. If I go to bios, disable optimus and PEG PCI port my idle temps drop to 30C. I kind of need the newer drivers because the MSi ones don't support desktop RTX (I have 2080 Ti running as eGPU).

10. Divinated

Divinated Notebook Geek

Reputations:
    Whats the optimus setting in Nvidia control panel set on, and do you have the power setting on optimal performance? Also try dedicating the external gpu to PhysX.

Also, there are some eGPU settings in BIOs. I forget which, I'd have to look.

Last edited: Apr 16, 2019