*** The Official 2019 MSI GS65 Stealth with RTX GPUs Owners and Discussions Lounge ***

Discussion in 'MSI Reviews & Owners' Lounges' started by JRey, Jan 25, 2019.

1. cloudpower

cloudpower Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    Is there any way to force my fans to stay quiet? I have Dragon Center uninstalled per everyone's recommendations, along with Silent Option installed, but even setting the Basic option to the very left or Advanced at 0 results in fans kicking on - this is simply browsing the internet or doing nothing with my CPU hovering around 65C-72C and utilization at about 5%.

Also, any way to achieve a "Cooler Boost" esque result with Silent Option where the fans slam right up to maximum? It seems to ramp up very very slowly...

2. bolo822

bolo822 Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    i managed to oc my rtx 2060 in afterburner using oc scanner it landed on 210 core and manually raised memory to 1200(!!) On 1400 i get artifacts.

With these + TS -150 undervolt and 36 max turbo my highest firestrike score is 14220 is it very good score? Cpu temps are avg 67 through whole test and maxing at 88 during 3rd test, gpu is max 70

I have dragon centre installed. What you say?

3. ryzeki

ryzeki Super Moderator Super Moderator

Reputations:
    Pascal had memory correction, so I would advise to confirm if your overclocked memory is actually giving you performance, or you already are in a memory correction area. there should be consistent performance upgrade with clocks but at some point it doesn't give you any extra performance, and instead hurts.

jeremyshaw likes this.
  4. falldragon

falldragon Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    You might have to use throttlestop to set a custom profile to lower the CPU clocks if you want no fans at all for just browsing, or a "battery" profile that you can switch to in those cases. I personally just use Dragon Center's Eco fan mode if I want silent fans as it underclocks the CPU really low and I never hear the fan turn on.

5. thefatapple

thefatapple Notebook Geek

Reputations:
    have you unlocked the BIOS with the secret code? it's in this thread somewhere. there is a feature in the BIOS that determines at which temp the fans power up (and override your silent option options). it is configurable but it jumps in quantities of 7~8C per tick. i was drunk when i found it so i forgot exactly where it's at :oops: gonna try to find it again next week

Michael A. Saldana likes this.
  6. dan013

dan013 Newbie

Reputations:
    I've just gotten my MSI GS65 with RTX 2060 with 256gb ssd for 2249$ CAD. Is worth good the penny i pay?

7. LoneSyndal

LoneSyndal Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Didn't search through the thread, but has anyone seen temperature improvements with repasting? If so, which material?

8. kleptomaniak668

kleptomaniak668 Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    I'm interested in this MSI GS65 and I'll be getting it from HIDevolution with the best thermal paste and two 1tb ssds. It will be somewhere short of 3k. I'm curious if the current owners have any issues or nagging problems with it. This will be my portable gaming platform laptop and for general usage. Thunderbolt on this one makes it stand out and doesn't it come with a 120hz IPS screen?

9. LoneSyndal

LoneSyndal Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    I just received my unit which is the 8SF build (2019, 32GB RAM, 2070MQ). My current nagging gripes would probably be the slightly higher than expected thermals on the underside of the back-end. Was wondering if there were some ways to improve it.

10. kshnandi

kshnandi Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Are you sure you got 1200 on memory? I can't even go 200 on memory without having a bsod during games/benchmarks

I simply have a custom curve with +250 core avg and it gives me 15900 on firestrike graphics. I believe @xLima has a 17000 firestrike graphics. But for that he did the bios peg0 aspm configuration to 0.

Realistically speaking, in order to let the 2060 perform to its full potential, you'll have to let the CPU turbo max during games. Given the heat it produces, I personally just limit CPU to 2.2GHz and limit 2060 to 70W power draw. System stays under 65C and my thighs don't burn.

As long as I'm getting 80FPS avg, I'm happy.