*** The Official 2019 MSI GS65 Stealth with RTX GPUs Owners and Discussions Lounge ***

Discussion in 'MSI Reviews & Owners' Lounges' started by JRey, Jan 25, 2019.

1. vahdyx

vahdyx Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    But I'm still curious, is getting the Amazon one for $100 less a bad thing?

2. kshnandi

kshnandi Notebook Geek

Reputations:
    One can never be sure. The thing about power supplies are that the output quality matters. The best kind have extremely low THD levels which is good for electric circuitry. A higher THD usually hampers the overall life of the equipment. It may also cause heating of the equipment. What I'm trying to get to is that the THD levels of the 100$ power supply may or may not match or be poorer than the OEM version. If I were you, I would spend the 130$. Also, There wouldn't be any harm in buying the fat one either I guess (as long as the input pin to your laptop is the same). Pretty sure the fat one will survive longer.

vahdyx likes this.
  3. ryzeki

ryzeki Super Moderator Super Moderator

Reputations:
    Is 80 that bad now? It's never been a bad temp for mobile GPUs before. Hell, it's a great temp. My GTX1080 maxes at 80 when playing at 4K. Previous gen and notiriously after the introduction of the 8800 GTX mobile GPUs, temps on the 100s were even "normal".

I do believe these new GPUs start throttling if they get near 80, however. So even if I flash the 90w BIOS, I will still be temp limited at worst.

Thanks for the input. If the general performance increase is not worth the added heat, I will probably end up flashing back to 80w as well. I have no intention of pushing the laptop to burn it down. After using it and seeing how thin and light it is, I am well aware of its limits and I am not crazy enough to try a full flash anymore. Plus the point of "max Q" is supposed to be quieter gaming, and that won't be accomplished by pushing the card to the limit.

Do you happen to know the temp to which our cards start throttling? It would help me as a reference as well.

seanwee likes this.
  4. JRey

JRey Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    I believe it’s at 80c. Not 100% sure though.
    In TS, I set my safe temp to 78c and anything last that will throttle the CPU to try and reduce overall system heat.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ryzeki likes this.
  5. LoneSyndal

LoneSyndal Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Recently just received the MSI GS65 085 build. Was noticing quite warm temps while playing The Division 2 and would like to know what are some safe undervolt/temp target settings that wont cause stuttering. Been a few years since I last bought a new unit.

6. Divinated

Divinated Notebook Geek

Reputations:
    You should be able undervolt the CPU and CPU Cache by -125mV without any issues. You have to set the same value on both. There isn't any harm in undervolting. The most i've managed to undervolt it to was -190.4mV without problems, others have only been able to achieve -165mV but i think -125mV is good enough.

7. vahdyx

vahdyx Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    I have a question on, I just upgraded my unit to dual channel and now my laptop feel like it's concave ever so slightly. I'm not sure if this is how it always was, or if I did something odd, but it's definitely there and only noticable to me.

edit
    Looks to be normal. After some reddit'ing and google searching, it doesn't lay flat for everyone.

Last edited: Apr 5, 2019
  8. LoneSyndal

LoneSyndal Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Through TS or Intel?

Did it through TS real quick. Will see how it improves once I'm back and gaming.

Last edited: Apr 4, 2019
  9. kshnandi

kshnandi Notebook Geek

Reputations:
    The bottom of my screen is slightly concaved as well.

10. bolo822

bolo822 Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Guys could you share ur firestrike scores for gs65 rtx 2060? I oced my card in afterburber using oc scanner it gave me curve in core oc and memory I had to do myself I just set it up to 400. In TS 36 turbo, -0.150 undervolt and im getting 14090 score graphic 15606 and physics 1544.

Thats max I can get with temps maxing out at 88 in that 3rd test

Is there anything else O can do?