The official 16:9 screen protest thread

Discussion in 'Hardware Components and Aftermarket Upgrades' started by iGrim, Jun 22, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. iGrim

iGrim Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Enough is enough. We need to join together and STOP the spread of these AWFUL 16:9 screens invading our beloved laptops. These screen Mfrs will learn that nobody gives a crap about watching movies on laptops and we will not suffer just because it saves them a few dollars to produce these junk 16:9 screens. 16:9 screened laptops are NOT laptops in reality. They are portable movie players that can run Windows OS. Productivity on these units are SO BAD due to lack of vertical screen size that it cripples web browsing, MS Office use, and most Apps out there.

For the first time in laptop history WE the people will pool together and abolish this idiotic and crippling design. They will hear our demands loud and they will know we will not stand for this.

Join me in the crusade against this intrusion. We will not suffer just because it saves them $2.00 per screen. They will hear us!!! :mad2:

2. tianxia

tianxia kitty!!!

Reputations:
    they heard, but they just don't care. because we simply have to use monitors.
    as much as i hate 16:9, i realise that we can't do anything.

3. triturbo

triturbo Long live 16:10 and MXM-B

Reputations:
    Count me in ;)

4. newsposter

newsposter Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    too late, protests are irrevelant, you will be assimilated.

5. Soviet Sunrise

Soviet Sunrise Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
  6. The_Moo™

The_Moo™ Here we go again.....

Reputations:
    buy a Alienware......

7. MidnightSun

MidnightSun Emodicon

Reputations:
    Hahaha nice dog, Soviet Sunrise ;)

LCD makers are not going to go back to the 4:3 standards. It's even amazing that the 16:10 standard still exists.

You can't say that "nobody" cares about watching movies on their laptops, even though personally I don't. Also, even though I much prefer 16:10 displays, I don't think 16:9 displays are as bad as some make it seem.

In fact, with 1600x900 screens, the extra width is put the good use (as compared to 1440x900 screens) - you can comfortably have two pages side by side in Word, which is valuable to me. So, my protest would be for the wide availability of 1600x900 screens on 14" laptops, such as the Dell Studio 14z.

8. kns

kns Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    I strongly ask for the return of 4:3 screens. Every time I use a wide screen they just seem so ugly and so inconvenient. In my opinion wide screen is ok only for large screens like 17" or more. For small, portables, they are absolutely aweful and impractical.

9. JohnnyFlash

JohnnyFlash Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    Clevo's are all still 16:10 as well.

10. Soviet Sunrise

Soviet Sunrise Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    The soon to launch M980NU is in 16:9 and the upcoming successors to the M570TU and M860TU, the W870CU and W860CU, will be in 16:9.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.