*The Offical MSI GX60 Owners Lounge*

Discussion in 'MSI Reviews & Owners' Lounges' started by layjohn, Oct 12, 2012.

1. Kevin@GenTechPC

Kevin@GenTechPC Company Representative

Reputations:
    Probably, if this option is made available in the hidden menu.

2. valuxin

valuxin Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    It can't. The BIOS of 2nd gen MSI barebones doesn't implement iGPU functionality. There is even no vBIOS for Intel iGPU inside. I've tried modding it, but result was not that good. I guess, it's much easier to buy 3rd gen mobo if you want wider GPU support.

Last edited: Oct 2, 2019
    James D and Kevin@GenTechPC like this.
  3. Kevin@GenTechPC

Kevin@GenTechPC Company Representative

Reputations:
    Good job on trying to figure it out though. This HW design seems to have its limitation thus could be the reason why this option isn't available.

4. valuxin

valuxin Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    My opinion is that HW is ok. 2nd gen Intel platform was the first to implement real UEFI BIOS and standardized Nvidia Opimus technology methods. That's why only a few companies (like Dell) were ready to implement UEFI and Nvidia Optimus on the new basis. GT683 BIOS, as for me, looks like legacy in UEFI wrap. GT60 3rd gen have a real UEFI and it's like day and night. My guesses, it's still possible to make GT683 compatible sBIOS mod from what GT60 3rd gen is supplied or coreboot version, but it will require some reverse engineering knowledge and BIOS mod/engineering experience.

Due to the 3rd gen mobos prices up to $100, I see no reason (beside fun) wasting time on this.

Kevin@GenTechPC likes this.
  5. BlackWolfCds

BlackWolfCds Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Hello,
    The HD8970M of my GX60 seems out of order for a week, and I'm looking to replace it.
    I found a post on the AMD forum that claims that a 4G Alienware card works in a gx (60/70), but without further details.
    (https://community.amd.com/thread/200201)
    Can someone confirm this?
    There are several choices on ebay, the original card (2GB), Alienware / Dell (4Gb) and even Clevo (4GB).
    Which ones work in a GX60?
    I admit that I would like to switch to 4Gb.

Last edited: Oct 31, 2019
  6. Consi Pit

Consi Pit Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Due to a malfunction, I had to remove the 7970 card from the machine. Now the laptop displays the image using 7660g. However, it works at maximum cooling speeds, which makes it very loud :(. Is there any option to fix it. I mean to make it quieter?

7. BlackWolfCds

Reputations:

I had the same problem and the only solution that worked was to put a "completely" damaged card in the MXM port. I say "completely" because if the card is recognized in the system, it does not work. I had two damaged cards, one that was recognized and another not at all. With the unrecognized card, the fan no longer rotated fully and it was possible to install the graphics driver for the APU. If you have an damaged MXM card, perhaps try to damage it more so that it is no longer electrically supplied by the mxm port while being inserted into it.

Otherwise, if the MXM port is empty, there is no software solution for the fan that is spinning completely, at least on my GX60 model which was apparently newer than yours (A5750, 8650G, HD8970).

Last edited: Apr 24, 2020
  8. Consi Pit

Reputations:
    Thanks for the answer. Tell me please how to damage it more? For now, it is recognized by the system, but with it on board, the system is completely suspended after a few minutes. Maybe I schould try to disable it through the device manager? Because I'm not sure but I can't do it in bios?

9. BlackWolfCds

Reputations:
    Maybe find a plan of the hd7970 and desolder / destroy the component that manages the power of the card.
    No other solutions, even in bios. I even tried with an unlocked bios.
    I can not say more and I did not have to do it because I had a card that was no longer powered by the MXM port apparently.

Summary :
    - Card damaged in the MXM port recognized by bios: Unable to install the APU driver.

- Empty MXM port: Installation of the APU driver ok, but fan is running fully.

- Card damaged in the MXM port NOT recognized by bios (card not powered for example):
    Installation of the APU driver and fan ok.

Last edited: Apr 24, 2020
    Consi Pit likes this.
  10. Consi Pit

Reputations:
    Thanks a lot ;)