*The Offical MSI GX60 Owners Lounge*

Discussion in 'MSI Reviews & Owners' Lounges' started by layjohn, Oct 12, 2012.

1. James D

James D Notebook Prophet

Reputations:

P.S. Read the description on youtube. There were some info added about what NIEG driver bring its own specifics.

Last edited: Oct 18, 2017
  2. JuanNieve

JuanNieve Newbie

Reputations:
    Hi, i've got a huge problem for months and I can't find any way to fix it !
    I followed many advices from MSI France's forum members and we didn't fixed it, but since this GX 60 is so ... weird ? Maybe someone here is/were in the same case.

So, my problem is that months ago (around 1st of July i'd say), my fan doesn't work at boot. It causes limited performances from the HD 8970m. I can't activate Cooler Boost, the fan doesn't make any noice. I didn't try to open the back side while the pc is running (i'm not an expert but isn't it dangerous ?).
    The "glitch" i use, i'd say, to go through this problem, is that I put an external fan next to the air-hole to prevent over heating (past some temperature, the system activate a security mod that shut down the PC) and then I launch a game, for exemple i use Rocket League.
    It runs around 25-28fps (normaly it's around 75-80), and after 15-60minutes (yeah sometimes it takes time), the fan goes full speed, so cooler boost is activate, i close/launch the game again,It runs normaly.Then, until I shut down the PC, fans are working as they should do normaly (note : If i use "restart" the fan works at boot).

Things I tried : Clean Install of Windows 10 / Installing all types of graphic drivers (with ubilada's method) / Uninstall/Install Dragon Center + SCM / Removing Dust / Updating all drivers / Updating BIOS/VBIOS/Firmware (with MSI's France Forum members advices and MSI guides).
    The last thing I tried was going back to a clean version of Windows 7, since last Bios version is build for windows 7.
    For those who understand french I link my thread on MSI France Forum : https://forum-fr.msi.com/index.php?topic=10652.0

At the moment i'm really desperate, I wanted to sell it before summer so I could have buy a new PC, in this condition I can't even use it normaly since it should be my work support.
    I take any ideas or Advices.
    Thank you for reading !

Last edited: Oct 21, 2017
  3. James D

James D Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    Have you tried a new fan? Or put oil inside it using syringes?

4. JuanNieve

JuanNieve Newbie

Reputations:
    First, thanks for answearing !

I really would like to try another gx60's fan but i don't know anyone with this pc or any gx model ! I looked for buying a new one but it's a cost, around 60€ + shipping cost and i'm not even sure it will fix my problem, so that's "risky". (I only searched on french sites/from french merchants so if you know any other good sites for cheaper tell me please !)
    About oil or other stuff like thermal paste, i don't know much about this, i think it's something that needs rigor and to be prepared.
    Yet I didn't looked for tutorials or forums about that so if you know some good guides/sites/videos about the method i'll take it !
    I'll try anything, i'd like to fix it atleast until christmas !

Last edited: Oct 21, 2017
  5. James D

James D Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    Well, if Hot-dogs cost 5Є then it's not a surprise for a 20$ fan to cost 60Є.
    If you already reflashed laptop then I am pretty sure it's not software error but just in case you also can fiddle with GT70 Fan Control, decryption key in PM.

Perhpas it's not the best idea to put liquid oil into it if they cost so much. It can make you fan noisier. But can you take out bottom cover, put laptop on side, turn it on and if fan doesn't spin, try moving it with a finger? If it spins easily manually but not automatically then perhaps it's motherboard problem or connector. You could try to reseat fan's wire connector from motherboard

6. JuanNieve

JuanNieve Newbie

Reputations:
    [​IMG] Thank you i'll try this !
    In fact I opened my PC and picked up the CPU fan's reference : pabd19735bm.
    It cost around 20€ from chinese merchants on eBay ! So i'm gonna buy this one, i'll receive this between 01/11 and 16/11 !
    I'll come back with some news when I receive the item !

Edit : I tried out GT70 Fan control, it didn't work, I can't figure out if these numbers are OK but we can see that the FAN is running at 0 RPM (is the main fan = gpu fan ?)

Last edited: Oct 22, 2017
  7. James D

James D Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    You are too quick with decisions, you know that?
    First, fan from China is cheapest at 15$ like this one
    Also, as I said before, the problem can still lie inside motherboard, not fan itself. 15$ Doesn't look like big price to risk with while 20Euros is little bit harder to swallow.
    P.S. It's not guaranteed that OHM shows GPU fan as main one. You can check that only when your fan starts spinning but it wouldn't give you much anyways.

8. JuanNieve

JuanNieve Newbie

Reputations:
    :D don't worry !
    By looking further, the chinese one at 15$ didn't match with my actual model. I bought the right (and new) one for 35€ on a reliable professional french site which provides good and secured products, I contacted them and, in case the product doesn't work i'm 100% refunded. I'll receive the package friday and I'll keep you aware of the situation !
    P.S 35€ doesn't bother me that much since I want my pc to work till christmas and then i'll sell it, in France I found some working GX60 sold for ~250€-300€.

9. JuanNieve

JuanNieve Newbie

Reputations:
    So here i am ! Finaly my PC is working, the new fan solved all my problems ! Thank you for your answears ;D !

James D likes this.
  10. boy85

boy85 Newbie

Reputations:
    Guys, I found a solution for the freezes in Windows 10 Creators Update :
    http://download.msi.com/uti_exe/nb/MSI SCM x64 13.017.06089.zip
    Just install it and set it in Game Mode, it blocks the dedicated graphics from switching to the legacy, which W10 Creators doesn't support.
    And update BIOS if it's not working (but it should work anyway).
    And I think this is a solution to enable DX12, but I don't tested it yet.
    (If my english is incorrect : I'm french)

Edit : DON'T DO THIS ! Everytime I try to launch a game, freezes & BSoD's. Rolling back to Anniversary Update. **** MSI & AMD.

Last edited: Jan 19, 2018