*The Offical MSI GX60 Owners Lounge*

Discussion in 'MSI Reviews & Owners' Lounges' started by layjohn, Oct 12, 2012.

1. WitcherSanek

WitcherSanek Newbie

Reputations:
    Hello everyone. Recently I decided to replace ssd plextor 128gb with Kingston 240gb on my GX60-3cc and ran into the impossibility of overclocking the processor (5750m es) if there is a Kingston disk in my laptop (even if I install the system on a hard drive disk). Different versions of windows 10, installation of the chipset driver, different versions of video card drivers (tried 15.12 / 16.2.1 + 16.2.1 / 16.7.2 / 17.1.1), the error was not corrected. If i change the frequency (namely the frequency, and not necessarily to the higher side)with amdmsrtweaker or amd overdrive, laptop is dropped to flickering login screen and when i try to leave it, ripples begin to appear on the screen and again throws it to the login screen. If there are new video card drivers the next time i start the laptop, there is a message about crash drivers for the video card. With the old SSD the processor was perfectly overclocking and the problem didn't exist. I ask to help with the solution and elimination of this phenomenon. Sorry for my bad English

2. js5252

js5252 Newbie

Reputations:
    Hi guys,
    I'm having a weird issue with my GX60-3CC. Whenever I'm on windows my power button is always orange instead of white regardless of power settings. The power light stays orange even when I'm not playing a game. I think this started happening after I updated my BIOS + vBIOS. I've tried everything to fix this, including reinstalling my drivers and reinstalling Windows 7. Honestly, this issue isn't bothering me too much since switchable graphics is working fine but I'd love to have the power indicator back to normal.
    Heres my BIOS and vBIOS info:
    BIOS Version: E16FKAMS.P0M
    BIOS Release Date: 2014/09/12

AMD Radeon(TM) HD8970M vBIOS:
    BIOS Version 015.046.000.021
    BIOS Date 2014/08/18

And some pics of the problem:
    [​IMG]
    Orange light right after boot.

[​IMG]
    No games running. Anything running is on the APU but the power light is still orange!

Anybody got a fix for this?

3. icupnimpn2

icupnimpn2 Newbie

Reputations:
    This always happens to me when Windows futzes with my drivers. Are you able to launch the Radeon control center?

I'm no expert, but maybe follow ubilada's fantastic advice on page 453?

4. leeloyd

leeloyd Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Windows 10 Creators update reverts System timer from HPET to RTC.

If you encounter any issue when Over Clocking with GXMod's script like display becoming black or corrupted, just launch GXMod and select option 5 again like the first time:
    Code:
    5. Fix Aero transparency
    or launch CMD as admin and type
    Code:
    bcdedit /set useplatformclock true
    And reboot to take effect.

You should be able to OC again without issue.

5. Emmo2gee

Emmo2gee Newbie

Reputations:
    After upgrading to Windows 10 and uninstalling drivers with DDU, then reinstalling them, my computer throws a VIDEO_SCHEDULER_INTERNAL_ERROR BSOD every time it switches to the dedicated card (HD9790M). I've tried numerous things like a clean install, restoring, older drivers but none fixes it. Would flashing the BIOS maybe work? I'm at a loss here. Sometimes when I install older drivers, they are just not recognised and I get the 'not installed or not functioning properly' notice from AMD. Thanks.

EDIT: The solution for me was to flash the BIOS. Worked perfectly.

Last edited: May 1, 2017
    VanmerX likes this.
  6. VanmerX

VanmerX Newbie

Reputations:
    ^
    You're a miracle from above, a true godsend. After formatting to the Creators Update, I thought the newest update broke the new drivers for us forever, and since I declined to use the last WHQL drivers I have been resigned to sit on the 1607 version for like two weeks until I saw your post.

So yeah, I confirm. Updating the bios worked against the BSOD, at least on my GX70-3CC. Do not update the VBIOS all along with the new BIOS though - people have been complaining that the GPU suddenly downclocks to 900mhz after the vbios update.

7. Emmo2gee

Emmo2gee Newbie

Reputations:
    I'm having a very strange issue. My fan dies under heavy load (like playing a game). It sometimes dies instantly, sometimes doesn't. The fan sort of revs up and down every few seconds until it eventually fully stops with erratic spins. I've opened it up, cleaned it and will be reapplying thermal paste soon but I have no idea why it does this. Without playing a game, at temps of 50-60 degrees it works perfectly fine. If I use coolerboost, it goes all the way to 5000rpm. If I turn it off and wait for it to cool down after the fan stops, it'll work again as usual.

Do you think the fan is dead (despite it working perfectly unless I play a game)? The bearing is worn? The CPU overheating affects the fan? Would an overheating power adapter cause such issues? Could it be a driver/BIOS issue? There are no similar problems to this.

Last edited: Jun 24, 2017
  8. JuanNieve

JuanNieve Newbie

Reputations:
    Hi, i've got the same issue as you and Emmo2gee but i'm not really good at bios etc.. Would you please link me or explain me how to update our gx60's bios ? I already searched around the web but it lead me to msi's website wich only display 2014's bios, and i don't think that this is the most recent version for a bios.

9. Ilonice

Ilonice Newbie

Reputations:
    As far as I know, there are really just these two versions? Would love some clarification as well, though....

Actually, I had a lot of problems with the graphic card drivers after switching to Win10 and the E16FKAMS.D0L version (installed on legacy).
    I tried to fix it with the instructions provided by ubilada (#4529), which worked for me for a few months.
    After that I thought the problem was the legacy mode so I tried reinstalling Win on UEFI (tried both, CSM and w/o), but for some reason that was not possible.
    I also tried updating the firmware for the D0L to 16FKEMS4.506 (previous v. 502), but with no success again.
    Then I tried the other BIOS version (E16FKAMS.90L) and realized this one had the above mentioned firmware (so that confused me even more).
    I always read the instructions and manuals provided on the official MSI support site.
    I did not do anything with the VBIOS.

Right now I am trying to figure out the best option - not sure about Win10 as there is no BIOS update for it on MSI GX60 3BE... or is there?

Thanks for any advices!

10. Andrzej Gielzak

Andrzej Gielzak Newbie

Reputations:
    Hi!

First off a question:
    So there is currently no option to install latest Crimson drivers for 7970m (i'm running GX60 1ac)? If there is can You make explantion of steps that I need to take?

And now a bit of a rant about entire isue:
    This isue makes some of the titles released throught last couple of years not running at expected performance, if at all (I had problems with BF1, ME:A, DA:I, Walking Dead, Total War: Warhammer, and now Shadow of War). I am battling the isue at least twice a year since with new release or windows update, and i'm getting seriously pissed that "The First and Only Choice for the Best Performance " as it is still marketed on MSI website is not capable of working as expected or at all. And ignorance of the problem and users who invested heavy money in their hardware both from AMD and MSI is cherry on top.

Literally first and last time I bought product form MSI/AMD.