*The Offical MSI GX60 Owners Lounge*

Discussion in 'MSI Reviews & Owners' Lounges' started by layjohn, Oct 12, 2012.

1. Cloclo

Cloclo Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    You are lucky guys ! I must have 1.31V with 3.9ghz to be stable... Or maybe we are not talking with the same units (i am french).
    someone played Black ops 3 in multi with this laptop? how is the gameplay on this computer?

2. dattouz

dattouz Newbie

Reputations:
    Maybe someone can help me. I have the A10 and I can overclock it to 3.9 but I need to redoo the GXMod(2) everytime I reboot to have the overclock. Is there a way to put it permanently?

3. Mullrof

Mullrof Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    no.
    you can try to do it with my pscheck method.
    you could know about it if you read the topic carefuly

4. Cyclonus

Cyclonus Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    I'm still using the A10-4600, and for the games I play, I'm happy with it.
    Mainly DOTA2 :)

What graphics drivers are you guys using? I haven't updated in a while, and was wondering if the latest provide any in-game improvements? I saw that AMD Crimson is faster to launch than CCC, but honestly couldn't care less about that (how often do you even launch CCC to make anything faster than 1 second even worthwhile??)

Edit: I should probably point out that I haven't touched the VBIOS or anything magical like that, that's way out of my comfort zone, but I've read the the 7970m is basically the same as the newer card and all it takes is flashing something? Could someone who understands that tell me if it's worth doing anything or has any disadvantages I should be aware of (and maybe point me to instructions of what to do) about that?

5. Consi Pit

Consi Pit Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    By the way, this is not okay that MSI discontinues support for our laptop when HD7970m is still one of the strongest mobile AMD cards. Among other things that is why I will slowly finish with laptops ( nVidia does the same with the support to older cards , or even worse ).
    Next will be a desktop PC.

6. Kevin@GenTechPC

Kevin@GenTechPC Company Representative

Reputations:
    Generally, MSI provides support for one year throughout the product's lifetime and then when product's life cycle ends they stop providing support.
    This is not just MSI but many manufacturers too therefore we cannot expect MSI to provide software updates from Win 7 to Win 8 and then Win 10.
    Also, sometimes it's not up to MSI but the component manufacturer such as AMD. For example, if AMD says "oh, we are not going to support Win 8 because this chipset was made for Win 7", and so they don't release a newer version of chipset driver, even if MSI wants to provide support it's still going to be a dead end for them.

For your reference, I do see MSI has provided more than one year of support on GX60 since its release, see below.
    From GX60 1AC to 3CC, which started from 2013 to 2015.01.
    http://www.msi.com/search/GX60/product/1

7. Consi Pit

Consi Pit Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    I understand all of that, but I think in big part it is a deliberate action to force the purchase of new equipment. (for example nVidia deliberately understates the performance of older cards in the new drivers, and we have a situation when user of 780m have the same performance in xxx games like user of 860m - is it ok too?)
    Btw. I still remember problems I had with my XPS M1730 - no sli support for many months.
    A bit like buy a car and and after five years you see that there is no proper fuel to it.
    I do not expect support for 10 years;).
    But I bought the equipment (for decent money) which still allows me to play new games, and I think that I have the right to expect the newest graphics driver to optimize performance.
    The laptop manufacturers do not provide me this for one reason or another reason, so like I said - next will be a desktop computer:).

Of course I know that I can find some drivers on the web, but that's not what this is about now.

Thanks for the link. I know this site well. Nothing new from a long time ;)

8. Kevin@GenTechPC

Kevin@GenTechPC Company Representative

Reputations:
    What you are saying are true, this is tech field where manufacturers release products gradually.
    System manufacturers do try to support products for more than a year while they can, but sometimes they can be limited by resources from component makers.
    Both Nvidia and AMD are leaders in gaming graphics industry and they do provide updates for their GPUs. And we all know that Nvidia releases updates more frequently than AMD.
    http://support.amd.com/en-us/download/mobile?os=Windows+7+-+64

I also use station-drivers to keep my driver collections up-to-date.

9. ElAvispao

ElAvispao Newbie

Reputations:
    Hi everybody,

i have been reading the forum since 6 months ago, when my gx60 come home. Is a great forum and your posts have help me a lot.
    But now i have a big problem. The laptop turn off and it has not the power led. At the fist moment i thought it was te power adaptor, but it isn't and now i don't know what could it be. anybody know what could be broken?

Is it die?

Thx a lot and sorry for my bad english...

10. Cloclo

Cloclo Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Take a look at the mother board right at the entry of the power adaptator. It can be a problem of the piece that you put the adaptator in it, maybe it can be a problem of the mother board near to this piece (burning), I had this problem on a laptop with a wrong adaptator.
    Maybe you can try to find a full battery to put in the laptop to see if it is not just the adaptator or this piece that i talked.
    I am not sure if i am clear (english is not my first language).
    At least, test the discrete video card on another GX to see if it is still working because you can sell it around 300 euros...