*The Offical MSI GX60 Owners Lounge*

Discussion in 'MSI Reviews & Owners' Lounges' started by layjohn, Oct 12, 2012.

1. LisuPoland

LisuPoland Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    I did a test with The Witcher 3 (patch 1.0.3) on my GX60.
    It has a better A-10 version which is A-10 5750m ES running on 3.7 Ghz.

Suffice to say, performance is really stunning in a positive way.

I use FHD resolution, AA and other eye-candy features are also enabled (except the Nvidia Hair feature). Sliders are set from med to uber.

I get stable 30 fps in the first village which is already filled with detail, people, animals ect.
    Game is very responsive and mouse feels smooth and comfortable, no lag durning mouse movement.

Great optimalization has to play an enormous part here as well as the fact that newer games put more load on GPU, than CPU.

GX60 seems to be a great mobile platform for The Witcher 3 so far.

rpool05 likes this.
  2. Consi Pit

Consi Pit Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    In Novigrad I expect problems with FPS, nothing new for me in the Witcher series;). I think I can live with that if 70/80% of the game will retain at least 25 fps. I'm still on v.1,02
    I am very pleased with this game, it is really outstanding. Also, I am so glad that gx doing so well . Before buying most of the advisers advised me to take Lenovo Y580 , and they were laughed with my choice - as far as I know , they can only dream about to play at my settings .

rpool05 likes this.
  3. Cloclo

Cloclo Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Hello there! I finaly get my A10-5750M ES this morning. After paying 28 Euros of taxes (DHL Shipping) i made the upgrade. It works well and i did not made any drivers update for that. (OS Windows 8.1 64 bits, GX60 3cc)
    First i made the trial on overdrive and it automaticaly finds 3.3 GHz/ 1.137 V as the last stable frequency, here is the screen shot :
    [​IMG]
    It works but throttle after few minutes at 900Mhz.
    Then, i tried the frequencies and voltages in the link below :
    http://portables4gamers.com/forum/t...t-overclocking-reveillez-le-monstre-qui-dort/
    the 3.6 / 1.18V is not stable (blue screen).
    I tried by miself 3.5/ 1.18V and it is not stable but allow me to play 1 hour and the temperatures were good.

I know i am doing something wrong and the answer may be in these 430 pages but i am too laisy to re-reed it all. Maybe i need to disable power now in he bios but i do not know how to access the GX60 bios...
    I have some difficulties to find lisupoland's tutorial witch gave a list of the stable frequencies, anyone can help me?

Last edited: May 28, 2015
  4. kwnc

kwnc Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Firstly, congratulations. Just shipping for 28 euros or just taxes? Last week, I paid 21$ for 4600m es, and there is a a8 5550m just for 20$. Ok, forget the money :D

Anyway, I searched and tried all programs. Amd overdrive, bar-edit, pscheck etc. The most usefull program is if you dont have unlocked bios, amdmsrtweaker. Because you should disable APM and turbo boost for better overclocking. and for no throttling. Then the most usefull and simple program is gxmods_v2. You can find that in this thread, i can't remember the page. You can just google.

Anyway, here is the tutorial:

Turn off APM and turbo boost. (if you have unlocked bios from do it in bios or use amdmsrtweaker) Then with any program set the p0 states and vcore. And lock the cores. But if you find that program (gxmods_v2). It's more easy. Use that program.

Edit: Ultimate tutorial at page 406.

5. Cloclo

Reputations:
    No! 28 Euros is just the price for taxes... i paid the APU 70 euros with DHL shipping.
    So, thanks for your greatfull help. I finaly found lisupoland's tuto here if it can help others : https://forum-ru.msi.com/index.php?topic=78647.5560;wap2
    I found how to access bios and disabled power now (is it that you call APM?), then i succefully overclocked to 3.5 Ghz / 1.1875 V (i am french and volts may not correspond)
    The differencies are not so huge in farcry 4 since FPS drops near villages (17 - 22 fps) are the same than with stock A10.

I tried 1.238v @ 3.8Ghz but the apu throttles, is this normal since I desactivated power now? Otherwise, no blue screen.
    I will try the tutoral page 406 because i need to push it way further... even with 3.5 Ghz temperatures are around 70°C !

6. kwnc

kwnc Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Please go slow, Before to go 3,8 and 1.2xx volt, make sure no throttling, and if you can, before the game, do some benchmarks. If it's throttling and shows 70C~, after you really lock the cores and without throttling, your temp will increase a lot probably. And even if it's show works at 3,5ghz, and if tdp limit is on, it's not working 3,5 ghz really and this is why it's still at 70C.

You must turn off APM to disable tdp limit, otherwise it will throttling. i don't know powernow is the same thing with APM. Donwload aida64 extreme, open software, go motherboard,--cpuid--power management features--you can see application power management(APM), it's says disabled or enabled. Just try to find Gxmods_v2. I tried other programs, and i just see BSOD, or throttling. This program is more usefull and simple and working very well for me.

7. Cloclo

Reputations:
    You are right, it throttles because TDP is more than 35W. My last stable frequency since i have not turned off APM is 3.6Ghz for 1.20 V.
    It seems that your program is difficult to find.... I will see tomorrow.
    I always bench before gaming it is much more safe. Anyway i need an all in one tweek, more easy to use day by day and that can be desactivated so the system does not freeze when you turn off power.
    Like this thing :
    http://portables4gamers.com/forum/t...un-apu-amd-a10-engineering-sample-sous-linux/

I will try and send news tomorrow.

8. kwnc

kwnc Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:

I found the post and program; http://forum.notebookreview.com/thr...60-owners-lounge.692264/page-420#post-9863379

Try this program, and if you can't do again, or cpu throttling again because of TDP limit, i will explain amdmsrtweaker for disable APM.

9. Cloclo

Reputations:
    Yes, much better program, i love it thanks!!!
    when i try higher frequencies without increasing the voltage, i see blue screen, so in my tests, i fix a frequency, then try different voltages.
    If i know that 3.6/1.2V is stable, i try 3.7/1.2, then increase the voltage. For this frenquency i found 1.225V as last voltages without BSOD, but, after 30 minutes playing, throttle can be seen.
    So yes, i need to disable APM, i will do some researches while waiting for your help.
    In contrast, with no throttle at 3.6 Ghz (i look at overdrive to see if there is throttle), my temps still are very good. My thermal compound is Mx4 but i'll replace it with liquid metal.

10. kwnc

kwnc Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    If it's throttle, the temps don't mean anything. For disable tdp limiting(and so APM), download amdmsrtweaker 1.1. just google.

Then open rar file, drag and drop "x64" to c disk, and rename this file "turbo"(you can rename anything, but this is easy). so if you open your c disk, there is turbo file, and inside there amdmsrtweaker, dll file etc.

Then, open dos. windows, start, type command. I don't know your windows language, right click to command(ms dos) and open with administrator.

Now you open ms dos: here it must showing you: c, sistem, windows32: here is the step by step:

cd c:\ (press enter)

cd turbo (press enter)

amdmsrtweaker APM=0 (press enter)

Now it's disabled APM(so tdp limiting), you can disable turbo too, but disabling apm also disabling turbo, but i don't know, you can disable turbo too.

amdmsrtweaker Turbo=0 (press enter)

That's it. :D Again, be careful with temps. Go slowly.