*The Offical MSI GX60 Owners Lounge*

Discussion in 'MSI Reviews & Owners' Lounges' started by layjohn, Oct 12, 2012.

1. nightsmoker

nightsmoker Newbie

Reputations:
    thx for the quick replay ..

2. LisuPoland

LisuPoland Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Same thing here, I didn't even believe a respectful company like MSi would ever release such a unbalanced hardware combo on the market, so I thought A-10 must be enough to handle 7970m.

I was wrong...

MSi should rename GX60 and GX70 to Bottleneck60 and Bottleneck70.

And it's the MSi who screwed up, not AMD. AMD has awesome high-end GPU's and low-end CPU 's that are intended only for multimedia notebooks with no dedicated GPU's.

MSi simply twisted A-10's intended sector and stuck it into a combination that just cannot work efficiently...

If it only wasn't for that damn fm2 socket... I would have stuck Kaveri in there for sure.

3. j_kut

j_kut Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Their biggest mistake was not to unlock the CPU part, with a custom-setting for simultaniously overclocking the CPU and undervolting the iGPU it could been a real sledgehammer.
    ES are so easy to overclock and the cooling would have handled it.

But instead MSI tricked us, now with the GT60 for the same price (no OS) I have way better performance.
    I still love AMD, but as Lisu said, in the end the APU is for a Multimedia-book on which you can also play, but not for a high-end gaming notebook.

For a lot of games it worked ok, but nowhere near what the 7970m is capable of.
    Rendering movies on the other hand was a joy with it.

LisuPoland likes this.
  4. randomice

randomice Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    J_kut is the gt60 and gx60 the same barebone? Could motherboatd be swapped i mean physsically

5. j_kut

Reputations:
    Looks identical to me,

6. randomice

randomice Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    I couldn't find good inside pictures for th gt60 last month , if you could make some high res pic from the connections. I wanna try to look for an gt60 motherboard try to fit in but only if im about 99% certain :p

7. electrofeenix

electrofeenix Newbie

Reputations:
    Yeah, I'm dissappointed with this laptop. Was in a hurry back in February when I bought it and didnt do enough serious research.

Just can't believe as Lisu has said, that MSI would knowingly hamstring a GPU like the 7970 by pairing it with these A10 APU's, what a waste. I just didnt think these cpu's could be that bad. MSI tricked me good, but I've learnt my lesson.

Anyway if we had at least had the option to OC, I would've been ok with that, but as it stands its lame, and not such great value for money anymore, seeing as I could've got a multimedia laptop for cheaper if that was what I was after.

8. electrofeenix

electrofeenix Newbie

Reputations:
    If you do manage to find a motherboard and do the change let us know how it went.

9. j_kut

Reputations:
    Shure, will take some shots tomorrow, tell me if you want anything closed up.

10. Tax

Tax Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Yeah, A10 for sure, I experienced also when I had this machine. However I read he overclocked the GPU near overclocked A8-5550M and that is makes lot of difference. Seemed even in gaming he had 100% GPU usage.