The new SSD Thread (Benchmarks, Brands, News and Advice)

Discussion in 'Hardware Components and Aftermarket Upgrades' started by Les, Jan 14, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. tilleroftheearth

tilleroftheearth Wisdom listens quietly...

Reputations:
    Just a little update about the firmware bricking G2's... The few cases I read about seem to be mostly Win 7 related (does anybody know differently?) so maybe you will be fine with XP Pro?

Yes, like Ashura said, it's the small file access that AHCI speeds up mostly (and NCQ too is also enabled for supported drives like the G2).

These small file accesses are even noticeable with mech. HD's (VRaptor) between ATA vs. AHCI mode. Acoustically, the drive seems even 'quieter' in AHCI mode because of NCQ being enabled, not to mention faster.

BTW, Yes, the ICH8M is the driver you want - the ICH8R is the 'RAID' version (M is for Mobile, although some notebooks support the R version too).

2. ScifiMike12

ScifiMike12 Drinking the good stuff

Reputations:
  3. hooterbif

hooterbif Notebook Geek

Reputations:
    Thanks to tilleroftheearth, Tomy B., Kallogan, Mormegil83.

Here are my post-AHCI conversion results. I have not aligned yet (and my disk is clearly mis-aligned to sector 63).

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

4. tilleroftheearth

Reputations:
    hooterbif,

I'm so glad that it didn't hose your system (going to AHCI)! :cool:

Did you find any specific info that limits the G2's firmware problems to only Win 7?

Now, to be totally up to speed, we need to see your partition aligned properly. Waiting for the next BM's. :D

Oh! Do you 'feel' the 2x to up to 4x increase in Read speeds and/or the 50%-150%+ increase in write speeds?

5. hooterbif

hooterbif Notebook Geek

Reputations:
    I have XP3-32 and have had no problems with the firmware update. I have been reading that they are limited to W7, just like you have read.

As for alignment....I have some critical work that would be made very difficult in the case of a hosed system, so I am being a bit chicken right now. Also, I am having a hard time imagining how my benchmarks could be any better than they are now. (I know, I said that pre-AHCI conversion, but you guys showed me the benchmarks to prove otherwise!).

6. Mormegil83

Mormegil83 I Love Lamp.

Reputations:
    Not even sure if it needs alignedd... aren't those benchies right on par?

7. hooterbif

hooterbif Notebook Geek

Reputations:
    That's my point at the end of my post.

That is, what the heck else do we expect out of an Intel G2?

8. tilleroftheearth

Reputations:
    hooterbif,

I've included my edit (which you may have missed) from my post above, but commenting on your quote, in post 9131 sgilmore62 shows write speeds closer to 150MB/s vs. your ~100's in ATTO.

So... are you aligning your partition yet? :p

9. hooterbif

hooterbif Notebook Geek

Reputations:
    My new-found speed is even more problematic than when I got a boost from the firmware upgrade. Now, I cannot even reach my finger to my nose when saving a big file.

OK, now you are pushing me to get my write speeds up....maybe I'll align after my upcoming critical work next week....

10. tilleroftheearth

Reputations:
    Okay, I messed up!

Instead of message 9131 from sgilmore62, you should compare to message 9130 from chris-m.

chris-m is running an Intel G2 while sgilmore62 is running an OCZ Summit. :eek:

Myself, I would still align the partitions - its the 'right thing to do' (even though Intel publicly states that the X25's are mostly 'immune' from misalignment), but as far as benchmark's go - I think you're golden (even if chris-m seems to be running on Win 7 x64 and assuming he did a full install, Win 7 should have aligned his partitions properly for him).

Hmmm... maybe chris-m needs some tweaking too? His 0.5 to 16K scores look awfully low compared to yours. Although I don't know what to suggest.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.