The new SSD Thread (Benchmarks, Brands, News and Advice)

Discussion in 'Hardware Components and Aftermarket Upgrades' started by Les, Jan 14, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. tilleroftheearth

tilleroftheearth Wisdom listens quietly...

Reputations:
  2. Tomy B.

Tomy B. Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    wiley character :laugh:

@ hooterbif: Don't forget to uncheck "Round to cylinders" in step 9. This is most common mistake witch result as some error.

3. Kallogan

Kallogan Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    plus to repair his partition with his OS Cdrom cause his system won't boot after the realignment otherwise ;-)

Very nice guide Tomy btw ;-) Worked well for me.

4. Mormegil83

Mormegil83 I Love Lamp.

Reputations:
    I believe intel says their SSD is supposed to be run in ACHI mode too. so i would still switch to ACHI mode if i were you.

5. hooterbif

hooterbif Notebook Geek

Reputations:
    Thanks guys. I will do the realignment procedure and look into changing to ACHI mode.

6. hooterbif

hooterbif Notebook Geek

Reputations:
    Uh, really? That seems like an important step, so I am confused that this would have been left out of Tomy B.'s recipe.

7. Tomy B.

Tomy B. Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Well it's left out because it's recipe for align boot partitions without losing data, not for switching from IDE to ACHI and still be able to boot. ;)

On my laptop (Dell Latitude D620) I don't have an option to switch between IDE and ACHI in BIOS, so I can't test it.

BTW: Google is Your friend!

8. tilleroftheearth

tilleroftheearth Wisdom listens quietly...

Reputations:
    hooterbif,

just making sure you didn't miss my post 9201 just a few above this one which gives a link to a really easy way to enable AHCI mode on an XP system.

On the other hand, you may want to wait until Intel issues either a new firmware for your G2 or, they confirm that your flashed G2 will not develop issues running in AHCI mode.

Maybe you were lucky that the firmware worked for you because you're in IDE/ATA mode in your BIOS?

Either way, play it safe (backup!) and Good Luck! ;)

9. hooterbif

hooterbif Notebook Geek

Reputations:
    Thanks. I did see your link and went to it, but it is for ICH9 (not sure that makes a difference). Also, I am still a bit hesitant on the AHCI conversion because I have not found benchmarking evidence that it has any effect, especially for my configuration that has only one disk (non RAID).

Also, after having unpacked the latest Intel Matrix Storage Manager ISO, I see that I can choose between two different ICH8 controllers:
    ICH8M-E/M SATA AHCI or
    ICH8R/DH/DO SATA AHCI

I am researching the difference between the two and which one I should choose. My existing controller is called "ICH8M 3 port Serial ATA Storage Controller - 2828," so I am guessing that I should choose the first of the two drivers because of the "M" in the name.

Good point about being cautious given that I updated my firmware with potentially bogus code (that happens to be working great for me right now!).

I do full system state external backups automatically every night as I snooze using EMC Retrospect Pro.

10. ashura

ashura Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Here's your evidence:
    http://pcper.com/article.php?aid=669&type=expert&pid=3

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.