The NEW MSI GS75, 8th GEN Intel, NVIDIA RTX GPU with GDDR6!

Discussion in 'MSI Reviews & Owners' Lounges' started by -=$tR|k3r=-, Jan 7, 2019.

1. seanwee

seanwee Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Taking it apart is easy. Putting it back together is the hard part. You need to align the motherboard properly to make it fit.

Cisco78 likes this.
  2. Cisco78

Cisco78 Notebook Geek

Reputations:
    Know of any videos out there? Found one for the GS65, assuming similar build inside?

Are most folks going liquid metal or is update thermal paste alright? I hadn’t ever heard of liquid metal until recently haha.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

3. seanwee

Reputations:
    I have not seen any videos of the GS75 disassembly but if you can take apart the GS65, you can take apart the GS75. They are not too different.

Normal high quality paste will work fine. People who go for liquid metal just want to get the absolute best temps.

Cisco78 likes this.
  4. Cisco78

Cisco78 Notebook Geek

Reputations:
    Been playing a few games, nothing longer than an hour, but keyboard by WASD keys getting pretty hot... CPU temps even with a -125 undervolt hover between 70-93c depending on fan speed. Fans don’t seem totally maxed. Is this pretty normal? Was playing the long dark but CPU was getting a lot more use than the GPU. Thoughts? Do I just need to repaste sooner rather than later? Just assumed CPU needed to burn in a bit...

Last edited: Oct 11, 2019
  5. seanwee

Reputations:
    Sounds about right. The thermal throttle limit is 92-93°C so you won't see cpu temps higher than that. I'm not too familiar with auto fans (I use my own fan curve) but I did notice it ramps the gpu fans more aggressively than the cpu fan.

And no, cpus do not need to be burned in.

Cisco78 likes this.
  6. Cisco78

Cisco78 Notebook Geek

Reputations:
    Ok I’ll take a look at the fan settings, that will most likely help.

I haven’t built or tinkered in ages so trying to remember everything that needs to get done.

Loving the screen by the way... it was primary reason why I chose the GS75, just seemed a tad better than the competition and 4K seemed silly for my needs. I feel like I got very lucky with back light bleed, a few minor spots at bottom but a slight adjustment to screen angle and it’s not noticeable.

7. Sonnie Parker

Sonnie Parker Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Is anyone experiencing wear on the keys already... had mine since first of the year and they are already showing pretty serious signs of wear.

upload_2019-10-12_7-35-51.png

8. Cisco78

Cisco78 Notebook Geek

Reputations:
    So I’ve yet to repaste but man I’m loving this machine! And ironically, my granite counter tops are providing a great cooling solution haha... temperatures are way down when using the laptop on them.

9. YoungStarDC

YoungStarDC Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Only have mine for about two months and fortunately, no issues yet. I'm not sure if the keys are replaceable but if they are, perhaps MSI can ship them to you under the warranty?

10. YoungStarDC

YoungStarDC Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    If I put a NVMe SSD in the SATA slot, will it still work (just at lower speeds)?