The NEW MSI GS75, 8th GEN Intel, NVIDIA RTX GPU with GDDR6!

Discussion in 'MSI Reviews & Owners' Lounges' started by -=$tR|k3r=-, Jan 7, 2019.

1. YoungStarDC

YoungStarDC Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    I had an Aorus X5 V8 and I've got to say, the way you could manage the fan curve was done a lot better there! I would've liked to choose at what percentage the fans ramp up at a specific temperature. This is a bit oversimplified. Or am I missing something?

[​IMG]

This is how it was on the Aorus.

2. seanwee

seanwee Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Yes, it's a lot more limited on MSI laptops but I think it's still good enough.

This is my profile
    20190814_080839.jpg
    20190814_080848.jpg

3. YoungStarDC

Reputations:
    I've got mine set up to ramp up all the way to 120% haha, but it's pretty much only for during stress testing and benchmarking.

Hopefully they expand the feature set with a real fan curve in a future update :)

4. seanwee

Reputations:
    Yeah that's perfectly fine. 75% just happens to be the quietest I get the GS75 to run at with reasonably good temps.

And yes, they really should revamp the fan control to a more granular one. They've been using this type of fan control since 2015

5. YoungStarDC

Reputations:
    Finally got around to actually game! Played about 4 hours of Forza Horizon 4 with all settings maxed out. Gotta say, liquid metal + undervolt and some optimization basically equals magic :D

[​IMG]

6. seanwee

Reputations:
    How fast were the fans running? And what temps did gpu max out at?

7. YoungStarDC

Reputations:
    I've had the fans set on advanced in Dragon Center and they could ramp up to a max of 120%. If I had to guess going by the sound, they were under 80% pretty much the whole time.

As for the GPU, I forgot to take a screenshot :(

8. seanwee

Reputations:
    You should be able to cap at 90% for cpu and gpu by the looks of it

9. YoungStarDC

Reputations:
    You're probably right, but since I don't mind the noise, I'll just let it ramp up whenever it needs to. I think it's good for the longevity of the machine if temps are kept in check!

By the way, have you removed the stickers next to the trackpad? If so, do they leave any residue or is it clean afterwards?

10. seanwee

Reputations:
    Keeping the system cool is always good, components last exponentially longer as temps go down.

And yes, I removed the stickers on the laptop. It was the first thing I did actually. All stickers can be peeled off cleanly with patience, all except the RTX sticker. That leaves a lot of residue.

I cleaned it up easily using window cleaning spray though. For some reason it worked better than just isopropyl alcohol.