The NEW MSI GS75, 8th GEN Intel, NVIDIA RTX GPU with GDDR6!

Discussion in 'MSI Reviews & Owners' Lounges' started by -=$tR|k3r=-, Jan 7, 2019.

1. Pepillo

Pepillo Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    I only know bios of 90w for the 2080 Max-Q, I think I have read something from the 2070 as well, but I do not know if it exists for 2060.

ryzeki likes this.
  2. ryzeki

ryzeki Super Moderator Super Moderator

Reputations:
    In theory it should be. But this wouldn't be the first time a particular output is still tied to the iGPU while others directly to the dGPU. It can quickly be seen in the nvidia control panel when connecting an external monitor, as it shows you whether the output is going through the iGPU or not.

The MSI GT60 which used the 780m, for example, had HDMI, mini DP, and VGA. It couldn't use nvidia surround (using 3 monitors) because only the mini DP and HDMI were routed to the dGPU, while the laptop monitor and VGA were directly to the iGPU.

I'd like to believe only the internal monitor of the GS75 uses the iGPU for optimus while the rest of video out use the dGPU. But I don't even have a thunderbolt to HDMI/DP whatever cable to test.

There is always a small risk when flashing any bios to any device, and in our particular case, you will have added heat when using higher TDP vbios, as well as some sort of incompatibility (like maybe a video out port no longer works correctly).

That being said, as Pepillo said, we are currently trying and using the vbios for the 2080MQ and not the 2060. If anyone has a compatible 2060 vbios with 90w power, then maybe you can try but we don't have it yet as far as I know.

custom90gt and Pepillo like this.
  3. jamesoth

jamesoth Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:

The usb-c thunderbolt port (the port next to the hdmi port) connects straight to the nvidia gpu cos when i plugged a g-sync monitor in, g-sync is available.

But when i plug rift S into that same usb-c port, though the rift s setup program says all is well, there is nothing showing on the rift s screen......

i have a clevo p970ED available to see if my rift S is faulty, but it works, but given it has a mini display port.

Don't know if its my display port to usb-c adopter being the problem.

4. Zooport

Zooport Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Might be a silly question, but looking at my windows version it says I'm on 1803, I've gone to windows update to check for the newer version but there's nothing found. What's everyone else on?

5. Pepillo

Pepillo Notebook Guru

Reputations:
  6. Zooport

Reputations:
  7. Pepillo

Pepillo Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    I just received the AX1650 purchased from Amazon and my MSI GS75 does not recognize it, not even the bios. Looking in detail, I see that the AX1650 is M2 A / E key and the 1550 is M2 E key:

[​IMG]

They are not compatible?

8. seanwee

seanwee Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Maybe that's the reason why MSI hasn't updated the GS series to WiFi 6?

9. Atma

Atma Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Maybe it needs the Intel 9750H or higher to work?

10. Zooport

Reputations:
    Anyone played around with the Turbo setting in Dragon Centre? Does it make any difference at all?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]