The NEW MSI GS75, 8th GEN Intel, NVIDIA RTX GPU with GDDR6!

Discussion in 'MSI Reviews & Owners' Lounges' started by -=$tR|k3r=-, Jan 7, 2019.

1. supertoast92

supertoast92 Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Will report back if I make any discovery, hopefully I'll remember all the places I've been posting the question to in order to spread the word!

As far as the USB power is concerned, I am wondering if it's a charging feature that could be disabled in the BIOS (if you don't care for it). I know my HP Spectre had that option, where you could disable power to the USB in shutdown state (default was to leave them powered). Some of the peripherals plugged into my desktop (ASUS motherboard) experience the same quirk due to a similar feature.

2. Pepillo

Pepillo Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    It's weird about the MSI 90w bios. Exist, it exists, since the one I used to flash my 2080 Max-Q is MSI, so it must be mounted as standard on some laptop.

hmscott likes this.
  3. Driftingnfsc3

Driftingnfsc3 Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    the person that has the 90W RTX 2080 on his GS75, has the newer 9th gen i7 SKU (9SG). this tells me msi released the 90W vBIOS with their 9th gen processor refresh... or at least around that time they did. all the posts/reviews here use the i7 8750h (unless i missed someone post a review here with the 9750h)

4. seanwee

seanwee Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Ah, then that saves me the trouble of flashing it myself.

Mine should be arriving in 2 weeks

5. ryzeki

ryzeki Super Moderator Super Moderator

Reputations:
    Could you post it here? I would very much like to have that vbios! It would also explain why other reviews/comments with the 9th gen variant had higher graphic scores than current GS75. Including comparing flashed 90w vs MSI 90w.

custom90gt likes this.
  6. seanwee

seanwee Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    I'd be happy to :)

BTW I think you can get the msi 90w bios from their website since it's official. Try looking for it on the GS 75 9SX page.

7. BasilBurrito

BasilBurrito Newbie

Reputations:
    Can anyone confirm whether this laptop works with the Oculus Rift S? As the new Rift connects through Displayport, the only option would be through the USB-C port, but some people say the USB-C Displayport is connected to the Intel iGPU instead of the Nvidia GPU which would mean it won't work.

8. ryzeki

ryzeki Super Moderator Super Moderator

Reputations:
    I tried but there are no vbios on either our page or the new GS75. Only EC and BIOS. It will be great if we can all "upgrade" to the 90w directly from MSI. And I am specially curious because of the delta in scores... perhaps the MSI vbios does something different that even gives extra performance.

I wish I could help but I don't have a thunderbolt-display port cable handy to test, which would probably be the only way to test it. Worst case you can use an HDMI 2.0 to DP converter? or does that not work?

custom90gt likes this.
  9. Zooport

Zooport Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    I thought that the Thunderbolt 3 port on the GS75 was connected to the Nvidia GPU since it supports Displayport? At least that what it says in the manual

10. GaryLYS

GaryLYS Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Good day guys, wanna ask if there's risk in flashing 90W vbios into my gs75? Worried it's going to be harmful to the device, if no, can anyone of you share a link or perhaps provide me the instruction of how am I going to do this? I currently owned RTX 2060, i7-8750h variant of GS75, Thanks a lot!