The NEW MSI GS75, 8th GEN Intel, NVIDIA RTX GPU with GDDR6!

Discussion in 'MSI Reviews & Owners' Lounges' started by -=$tR|k3r=-, Jan 7, 2019.

1. Gr4dy

Gr4dy Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    I just got it yesterday from you guys :( So I have to send it to MSI? How long does that take? I need this laptop for work =/

Earlier this morning I forwarded an email conversation that I had been having with Ken at GenTech to your service@gentechpc.com email, so you should already have an email regarding this issue.

2. Kevin@GenTechPC

Kevin@GenTechPC Company Representative

Reputations:
    The keyboard was already like this when you got it? Let me check with Ken on this.

3. Gr4dy

Gr4dy Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Yeah, I literally got this laptop from you guys yesterday. The build was finished Thursday and mailed out that day. I paid for next day delivery and it was delivered yesterday evening. I've had it for about 24 hours.

4. supertoast92

supertoast92 Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Has anyone had issues with sleep --> hibernate transition with this laptop? If I set it up to hibernate after sleeping for greater than about 30 minutes, the laptop will wake up, but the screen will light up and the laptop will stay awake until it reaches the sleep timeout again. Cycle repeats.

If I set the hibernate wait period to something shorter, like 20 minutes, the transition will normally be successful.

Wake event names seem to differ between when it works and when it doesn't. When it *does* work, the event is "S4 doze to hibernate". When it *doesn't* work, the event is "Device - ACPI Wake Alarm".

5. ryzeki

ryzeki Super Moderator Super Moderator

Reputations:
    I have had issues with sleep/hibernate with all the computers I have ever known, and that is why I disable it always. I use, at most, "sleep" if for some reason I can't shut down. Since we use SSDs now, the boot time and all is so fast that I almost never sleep anyways.

There might be a software issue with hibernation that sadly is difficult to reproduce because it might also be related to window's versions. And it updates so often.

custom90gt likes this.
  6. supertoast92

supertoast92 Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Yeah, I've been trying to disable different pieces of software to find the culprit, but there are so many variables. Plus, as you say, software updates so often. This is the first laptop I've had this issue with, strangely. The only reason I use hibernate this way is if I'm being lazy and forget to shut it down, so that the battery doesn't deplete so much after hours of neglecting to power down. :p

7. Zooport

Zooport Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Thinking of hooking up to a G-Sync monitor, any recommended Thunderbolt 3 to DisplayPort adaptors?

8. seanwee

seanwee Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Is the GS75 Stealth-479 with i9 9880H a region limited model?

I'm in Malaysia and there is only an i7 9750h model according to the regional distributor.

I'd like to get the fastest model if possible but wouldn't want to buy from the US as that will make RMAs tideous.

Any ideas?

9. ryzeki

ryzeki Super Moderator Super Moderator

Reputations:
    If you find any light on the issue let us know, it's always great to have troubleshooting on potential issues and even better to have solutions to specific problems only some users experience.

My current issue is with USB ports being powered on permanently even when the laptop is shut down. It depends on the device, but it seems that any device that does not require handshaking (cheap USB mouse, etc) will be permanently powered on, while devices like the Xbox controller or external HDDs with good enclosures, they do seem to work fine and shut down with the computer.

I am actually interested in this as well. If you do find any decent brand let us know. The only recent brands I have use for converters/cables are Cable Matters, Sabrent and Club3D. All with positive experiences.

There are indeed SKUs only available in certain regions. I don't know if the 9880H is exlusive, but this wouldn't be the first time. There's this situation with Europe as well, where sometimes only the "low end" CPUs is the only choice for laptops.

I do hope they manage to sell it. Seems like a beast, based on iunlock's post.

On to another point I wanted to check with user's?

What are your performance numbers/benchmarks numbers? If possible, specifcy your model (CPU/GPU, vbios if 80 or 90w, and if you have dual/single channel ram).

I've seen some 90w 2080 and even 2070's score 22K graphic score in Firestrike normal. I have the 90w vbios yet my scores are 20K. I wanted to check if perhaps my memory was also a factor since the stock memory is rather slow (CL19) and perhaps faster memory was helping?

Just curious!

Here is my current run (Stock): https://www.3dmark.com/fs/19465875
    System: 8750H / 2080MQ 90w / 32GB Kingston dual channel CL19, all stock clocks.

Dannemand and seanwee like this.
  10. seanwee

seanwee Notebook Deity

Reputations: