The NEW MSI GS75, 8th GEN Intel, NVIDIA RTX GPU with GDDR6!

Discussion in 'MSI Reviews & Owners' Lounges' started by -=$tR|k3r=-, Jan 7, 2019.

1. Kevin@GenTechPC

Kevin@GenTechPC Company Representative

Reputations:
  2. Gr4dy

Gr4dy Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    @Kevin@GenTechPC

This was my post a few hours ago. I do have the latest Steel Series software installed

And yes, I've checked the Fn keys for keyboard brightness. As you can see from the picture in the link, other keyboard lights are at their brightest. These random keys that have no light wouldn't be dimmed by the Fn key brightness.

3. Gr4dy

Reputations:
    I also just tried the EC reset using a paperclip and it didn't affect anything. The keyboard still has LEDs that aren't lighting up:

https://imgur.com/a/uPq8oWl

4. Gr4dy

Reputations:
    I also have tried a complete reformat and reinstall of Windows. The same LEDs on the keyboard are still out.

5. Kevin@GenTechPC

Reputations:
    Do you have the factory image that you can restore to?

6. Gr4dy

Reputations:
    I created a factory image and tried to restore from that. I kept getting an error that said something about making the system drive the "master HDD". Some Googling told me to try renaming the system drive to "OS_Install" to get past that error. That didn't work and so that's when I reformatted completely.

And the reformat did not work. The same LEDs are still out on the keyboard.

7. Kevin@GenTechPC

Reputations:
    I see, what was the last thing that you did which triggered this symptom? Do you remember?

8. Gr4dy

Reputations:
    Just normal setting up a laptop activities. Installing games, software, etc. And then I finally went to play with the Steel Series software to change the default orange LEDs and once I changed the colors was when I noticed almost half the keyboard’s LEDs didn’t change/light up.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

9. Gr4dy

Reputations:
    I also want to mention, in the event it saves time, I’ve been in tech for 15 years as a hardware engineer and now software developer. I only say that to mean that I’m very familiar with troubleshooting. Which is why I first posted all of the troubleshooting steps I had tried.

I just didn’t want you to spend a bunch of time guiding through tier 1 troubleshooting since talking through the forum already takes some time between each response.

I’m obviously open to trying anything to fix this but it’s looking more and more like the LEDs that are out are just faulty/dead. Regarding the factory image, I tried multiple times to restore to it, but I kept getting that error that I couldn't seem to get past. I saw a few others on the official MSI forums getting it as well.

The error was "1. Make sure the disk partition layout is factory default setting. 2. Make sure the current OS HDD is in the master HDD place."

I don't know why I was getting this error. My partitions hadn't been changed at all.

Last edited: May 25, 2019
  10. Kevin@GenTechPC

Reputations:
    No problem, we gotta go through most of the important steps even though you know your stuff, sometimes we can miss the basics when we do too much advanced tasks for too long. :)
    It's not the partition, sometimes it can be a communication issue between the software utility to the keyboard device.
    Anyhow, since you had done all of the steps that were needed to get the issue resolved but couldn't therefore we will need to send the system back to MSI for repair as it could be a defective keyboard.
    Can you send us your order number to service@gentechpc.com and we can help you to get a RMA# from MSI? Thank you.