The NEW MSI GS75, 8th GEN Intel, NVIDIA RTX GPU with GDDR6!

Discussion in 'MSI Reviews & Owners' Lounges' started by -=$tR|k3r=-, Jan 7, 2019.

1. Zooport

Zooport Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Haven't opened mine up yet, but HWiNFO tells me it's a Samsung 16gb stick, looking at crucial.com brings up a few options. Would I be likely to run in to any issues if I was to buy a crucial 16gb stick, all the numbers match up to those listed in HWiNFO. Or will I be better off just buying two identical sticks and replacing the 16gb that's already in there?

2. ryzeki

ryzeki Super Moderator Super Moderator

Reputations:
    It's best to use identical sticks to avoid stability issues, but the closest second best choice is to get matching spec sticks.

Kevin@GenTechPC likes this.
  3. Driftingnfsc3

Driftingnfsc3 Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    oh my... i should've read this earlier, just came by to see how people were enjoying their GS75...considering getting it again :p. i thought the screen that came with my razer blade 15 4k was unusually dim. i measured it recently and it was average 280nits max brightness, which doesn't match what the panel is supposed to be capable of at all, which is 400 nits. it is an AUO B156ZAN03.1, the same panel in the gigabyte aero 15x v8 UHD that i got to try out in september 2018, and that aero's display scored just over 400 nits on average. The P1 and X1 extreme use a similar panel, albeit its the AUO B156ZAN03.2. Lenovo have their own display model number written over it, starts with LEN and i can't remember the rest. The X1 extreme 4k i got to try in march scored 380 nits on average.

sounds like either intel screwed something up, or windows updates did. either way, something screwy is going on with software. this issue has me triggered. the fact that its happened to 3 completely different laptops, and it does not seem like it is the OEMs fault, yet i can only imagine how much blame they are going to take due to incompetence from others.

4. ryzeki

ryzeki Super Moderator Super Moderator

Reputations:
    It happens a lot, and manufacturers always take the first hit. It's understandable because we experience it firsthand in a particular laptop. But the issue is real and sadly I have no current means of replicating except my own puzzlement of why the brightness was way dimmer for one day.

I am currently typing again from my P1, getting blinded by the brightness again.

5. Sonnie Parker

Sonnie Parker Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    It's the MSI True Color setting that dims it. Finally noticed it when it happened that the icon shows up in the task bar to the right. I'd like to keep the sRGB color, but I don't know how to disable the auto-brightness setting. Not even sure why MSI would think that it is needed. If I want to dim the screen... I'll dim the screen myself.

upload_2019-5-24_20-18-52.png

6. Gr4dy

Gr4dy Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Hello!

Just got a GS75. Does anyone elses numpad not light up like the rest of the keyboard? All the other keys light up with the RGB settings, except the keys on the numpad.

7. Sonnie Parker

Reputations:
    Mine lights up. Did you check in the keyboard lighting to see if by chance it was turned off?

8. Gr4dy

Reputations:
    The rest of the keyboard lights up, so the lights are definitely on. It's just the entire numpad and arrow keys that aren't.

9. Sonnie Parker

Reputations:
    Right... it could be that they are turned off in your Steel Series section where you can adjust your keyboard lighting.

10. Gr4dy

Reputations:
    You can see from this image that the keys are set to be on in the Steel Series software:

https://imgur.com/a/xdXYLrq

Here are some things I've tried to fix this:
    • uninstalling the Steel Series software and drivers (and reinstalling)
    • updating the BIOS and EC Firmware (they weren't at the latest)
    • updating all of the MSI drivers and Windows updates
    • Googling this issue for about 4-5 hours last night
    You can see in the attached image that it's all of the numpad and arrow keys that don't light up and q, w, e, a, s, d, tab, capslock, ctrl, alt, v, b, n, m, p, and the comma key.