The NEW MSI GS75, 8th GEN Intel, NVIDIA RTX GPU with GDDR6!

Discussion in 'MSI Reviews & Owners' Lounges' started by -=$tR|k3r=-, Jan 7, 2019.

1. Sonnie Parker

Sonnie Parker Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    What makes the screen dim considerably all of the sudden... and turning the brightness all the way up does not get it back to full brightness?

2. Kevin@GenTechPC

Kevin@GenTechPC Company Representative

Reputations:
    I am not sure about this, all I know is when you run directly off GPU it's less overhead than running it through Optimus.

3. ryzeki

ryzeki Super Moderator Super Moderator

Reputations:
    Do you have MSI True color installed? Maybe a profile is causing it?

custom90gt likes this.
  4. Sonnie Parker

Reputations:
    Yes... it's set to sRGB

5. thefatapple

thefatapple Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    do the colors look washed up? my intel graphics would tone down colors to save battery power. when I plugged in the ac it would stay that way unless I restarted.

6. Sonnie Parker

Reputations:
    Not at all... but I can go to the display setting and bump the Night Light Settings (which is set to off) and it will get bright again.

7. supertoast92

supertoast92 Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    There used to be settings in the Intel graphics control panel related to power saving, that did this sort of display dimming to my previous laptops. I haven't been able to find the setting to disable it since the latest DCH drivers have been available (now it seems to be called the Intel Graphics Command Center).

8. Sonnie Parker

Reputations:
    Can't find anything Intel related on this one. Prolly gonna just open a ticket with MSI about it.

9. Zooport

Zooport Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    For those that added another stick of RAM what did you go with? What's the price range I should be looking at?

10. ryzeki

ryzeki Super Moderator Super Moderator

Reputations:
    Added another kingston ram that my machine came with, I think its the kingston value? I forgot. Anyways I believe RAM was between 100 to 150dlrs for the 16GB stick.

Depending on your needs, you might want to go with faster RAM, for a new 2 x 8GB set. If you choose to upgrade what you have, it might be best to get as closely as possible matching ram in timings/speeds and size.

If you can get it bright again that day, it sounds like a software issue. Honestly I am not sure what could be causing it. But a couple of days ago I had a similar issue with my Lenovo P1, it was considerably dimmer than normal even when maxing the slider of brightness.

I don't know what happened there either, because the next day onwards, the brightness behaves normally again.

custom90gt likes this.