The NEW MSI GS75, 8th GEN Intel, NVIDIA RTX GPU with GDDR6!

Discussion in 'MSI Reviews & Owners' Lounges' started by -=$tR|k3r=-, Jan 7, 2019.

1. seanwee

seanwee Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    The rtx 2070 on the GE75 and gs75 are quite different. For comparison, the rtx 2070 on the GE75 is almost as fast as the 2080 max-q on the GS75.

The processor isn't very different and should perform similarly.

And both will heat up considerably under load, the gs 75 being just a little hotter and louder.

Honestly if you don't mind the weight and smaller battery on the GE75 is the faster option.

otto_kahn likes this.
  2. otto_kahn

otto_kahn Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Thank you very much.

It says 2070 on the GS75, not 2070 max-q but actually it is 2070 max q :(

The design of the GS75 and especially the back cover is very stylish. Is there a lot of difference in terms of portability?

3. otto_kahn

Reputations:
    Is there much performance difference between RTX 2070 with max-q design and RTX2070?

4. seanwee

seanwee Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    About 20-30% i think

5. ryzeki

ryzeki Super Moderator Super Moderator

Reputations:
    There is about 20 to 30% difference. The difference could be less if you use/find a 90W vbios version, just like the 2080MQ with 90w vbios performs close to a GTX1080.

Both are great options but the GE will give you more performance since it has the full 2070 and the 9750H will be faster in short bursts thanks to higher turbo clocks (I think up to 4.2ghz all 6 cores?) but sustained long term performance will be about the same.

Any that you consider, I advice to repaste it and undervolt it. It helps a lot.

otto_kahn and Kevin@GenTechPC like this.
  6. Kevin@GenTechPC

Kevin@GenTechPC Company Representative

Reputations:
    It's about 1.xx lb in difference, also the battery pack is larger on the GS75 than GE75 so it does pack a punch while you are on the go.

otto_kahn likes this.
  7. yandros

yandros Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    As background I spend a lot of time on aircraft so the weight of the GS75 is appealing. The screen size for the shell size is awesome, its the same size (almost) as my GS60. And I'm going back to a 17.3" as the eyes are what the used to be. Gaming wise, I play the FPS like ghost recon / farcry / Div 2 etc

So I'm getting ready to pull the trigger on a GS75, however the dilemma
    • Is there that much difference between the 2060 and the 2070-MQ.
    • Also the gen 9 i7's are now out but I haven't really seen any comparisons with the gen 8 cpu's. I'm looking at both performance and power consumption.
    • And as far as RAM goes does anyone know which AU models have a single 16gb stick. Would really like to bump it to 32gb at some stage.
    All thoughts appreciated.

8. ryzeki

Reputations:
    There is no much difference between the 2060, 2070MQ and 2080MQ. I would advise either going 2060 or 2080MQ because the performance difference is small enough anyways.

The new 9th gen intel CPUs are the same as 8th gen but with a bit higher turbo clocks and the i9 category finally has 8 cores, but its probably too hot for a GS machine, don't know. The i7 9750H I think has up to 300mhz more turbo, but sustained long term performance should be about the same (once thermal, power or any other limit kicks in). Clock for clock they are identical.

As for RAM, it does make a big noticeable difference to use dual channel ram instead of single channel. I do advice getting the 32GB of ram if possible. Infact, its probably cheaper to go for the 2060 version and upgrade to 32GB of ram, than going for the 2070MQ version.

9. otto_kahn

Reputations:
    Thank you.

ryzeki likes this.
  10. ryzeki

Reputations:
    You are welcome :)

If you are running your laptop nonstop, the only thing to keep in mind, since the GS series is aluminum chassis and very thin, you will feel the laptop itself to get warm/hot. It's normal and expected if you run long term loads on it. As long as you keep your internal temps in check, there is not much to worry about how it feels externally, and in this case, a cooling pad might help with the exterior of the laptop so you can consider one.

I am liking my GS75 more as each day passes. After testing, chaning bios, vbios, reinstalling windows, repasting, reinstalling windows again, testing a bit of RAID 0 with other ssds.... It grew on me. I finally settled to leave the stock SSD as the boot drive and did a final windows fresh install, got the 90w vbios working, respasted it and got the 90w vbios working, and the dual channel ram config, this laptop feels how it should- fast, slim, portable, sleek.

Plus, when doing light tasks, my battery actually lasts now! ;p

Dannemand, seanwee and Pepillo like this.