The NEW MSI GS75, 8th GEN Intel, NVIDIA RTX GPU with GDDR6!

Discussion in 'MSI Reviews & Owners' Lounges' started by -=$tR|k3r=-, Jan 7, 2019.

1. ryzeki

ryzeki Super Moderator Super Moderator

Reputations:
    Anyone got the original GS75 vbios? My SSD just died and my bios backup was there ha!

I want to revert to the original 80w vbios. The 90w just isn't working for me, I am stuck at base clocks of 990mhz

2. Pepillo

Pepillo Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
  3. ryzeki

Reputations:
    hmscott and custom90gt like this.
  4. Pepillo

Reputations:
    hmscott, ryzeki and seanwee like this.
  5. Pepillo

Reputations:
    Today I repasted my GS75 with Conductonaut on CPU and Kyronaut on GPU:

[​IMG]

Before, with CPU limit to 3.600 Mhz to avoid thermal throttling:

[​IMG]

Now, no limits, 4.100 Mhz maximun two cores, 4.000 other two, and 3.900 the other, like the 8750H it is made:

[​IMG]

Huge improvement on temperatures :cool:

6. cesc21

cesc21 Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    Wow that's some massive gains, did you have peanut butter on your die before ? :D
    I might give it a go sometime !

7. seanwee

seanwee Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    *Peanut butter and Jelly from the employee's lunch break.

ryzeki likes this.
  8. ryzeki

Reputations:
    Those are excellent temps. I haven't repasted mine yet as I am waiting for the second RAM stick, but for the time being even factory paste surprised me - sure it runs hotter than it should but I haven't had meltdowns of over 90 celsius yet, despite near 100 F (36 C) ambient temps. CPU usually ran at high 80s when hammering it, and the GPU in the low 70s at max usage.

I can't wait to unleash the full potential of the machine. Even in games like Battlefield 5 with a single RAM stick and 70% utilization, I was still getting between 60 to 100 fps in the campaign.

Pepillo and Atma like this.
  9. Weaboo1917

Weaboo1917 Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    No 90s yet?? I played PUBG at mostly medium-low settings and anti aliasing on ultra and my CPU spiked to 95C. That’s after a Kryonaut repaste and custom fan profile.

10. Sonnie Parker

Sonnie Parker Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Been living with my GS75 for a little over a month now... really like it overall. Good screen, very quiet, extremely cool, light weight yet solid... nice keyboard (other than the delete and directional keys being a little oddly placed)... and works perfectly for my productivity use (no gaming). The only major gripes are the touchpad being in my way... would rather have the smaller pad since I use a mouse. When typing I notice it moving underneath my palm too much ... somewhat irritating. And of course the battery life is not anywhere near what is claimed... my Dell Latitude under the same use will last twice as long as my GS75... I'm lucky if I get 2-3 hours tops, while 6-7 on the Latitude is frequent. Battery life isn't a serious concern for me since I am generally in my recliner and connecting the battery cable is easy enough. On a scale of 1 to 10... I'd give it a good 8.5 or so. Overall the best 17" laptop I've ever owned, which is quite a few.