The NEW MSI GS75, 8th GEN Intel, NVIDIA RTX GPU with GDDR6!

Discussion in 'MSI Reviews & Owners' Lounges' started by -=$tR|k3r=-, Jan 7, 2019.

1. Michael Normandeau

Michael Normandeau Newbie

Reputations:
    Well that was fast, it’s only be avaliable for 2 months.

2. JRey

JRey Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Interesting.
    I read that the 9th gen is going for 8 cores in a 45w package. Honestly, I’m not even interested. Going from a 7700HQ to the 8750H was nice but the thermals were not. Cramming an additional 2 cores into a 45w package with a higher boost clock is gonna cause problems.
    In this generation of laptops, we BARELY are able to sustain those high clock speeds. Our laptops do it better now than before but are still thermally constricted.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

3. Divinated

Divinated Notebook Geek

Reputations:
    Depends if they go with a full 8 core processor without hyper-threading. That would definitely be something to consider then, since thermals will be just as maintainable as a 6 core with hyper-threading. Do you know the specs yet?

4. myoung1123

myoung1123 Newbie

Reputations:
    Same. I'll take the discount on the 8th Gen.

Kevin@GenTechPC likes this.
  5. ryzeki

ryzeki Super Moderator Super Moderator

Reputations:
    I agree with this. Even my older 6820HK quad core is still a powerful gaming CPU, these intel 6 core CPUs are more than enough and already run hot as is. I think the 9th gen (is the lineup revealed yet?) will be a refresh, and they will probably add the 8 core CPU variant as the i9 extreme for mobile.

With current 8th gen CPU performance, 9th gen is not as enticing. It's nice for new owners but not really an upgrade for current owners, imo.

ALLurGroceries and JRey like this.
  6. JRey

JRey Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    That’s true.
    https://www.anandtech.com/show/13969/intel-details-new-9th-gen-cpus-for-notebooks-9980hk-9300h

Looks like some of the higher end stuff won’t have hyper threading but will have 8 cores. That will help with thermal management.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Kevin@GenTechPC likes this.
  7. ryzeki

Reputations:
    I still think the 6core /12 threads CPU will age better than 8 core 8 thread. But its a start. I do hope the new CPUs are not too hot for decent clocks. on desktops they are notably hot CPUs, to the point people actually prefer going with 8700K or full blown 8 core/16 threads with beefy coolers.

but 8 cores is not bad. The 9750H is going to be a great CPU for new users. I don't think the rest of the higher end lineup will be worth it unless you buy a proper monster with monster cooling haha.

JRey and Kevin@GenTechPC like this.
  8. seanwee

seanwee Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    A more recent leak of the i7-9750H (along with the mobile GTX 16 series) suggests that it's still a 6c/12t cpu, just with a higher boost clock of 4.5 on 1c and 4.3 on all cores.

9. ryzeki

Reputations:
    Did a bit of testing with the 90W bios but it seems it got stock at base clocks no matter what I did, nor drivers. It always ran at 990 mhz core. I reverted to my stock vbios and it booster properly.

For the time being, I will keep the 80w bios. Now I did notice several scenarios with less than 100% GPU usage. I suppose I am hitting a hard limit, and my single channel memory is not helping. Will continue to check out.

10. Pepillo

Pepillo Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    I have not had any problems with the 90w bios, it's the same ID and it works very well for me:

[​IMG]

The performance improves in a remarkable way, I like it:

[​IMG]

P.D. I love this GS75 :)

seanwee likes this.