The NEW MSI GS75, 8th GEN Intel, NVIDIA RTX GPU with GDDR6!

Discussion in 'MSI Reviews & Owners' Lounges' started by -=$tR|k3r=-, Jan 7, 2019.

1. dander

dander Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    One of the Type C ports is Gen 1 so idk

Is there any reason for these laptop manufacturers mixing older version of ports(including HDMI and DisplayPort) when other laptops with the same motherboards etc have the newer ones?

2. zippo72

zippo72 Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Same here. I am definitely going to get some nail polish to black out the gold hinges.

3. zippo72

zippo72 Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    There is no VirtualLink available on laptops, i think. Wasn't this feature only introduced with the RTX 2060 desktop graphics cards ?
    Probably will take some time for notebook manufacturers to implement this in their lappies.

4. Sonnie Parker

Sonnie Parker Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Got my name in the hat for one of these... been looking for a fairly lightweight 17.3" to sit in my lap while in my recliner. Been using a Dell Latitude 15.6" that is just as heavy as this one, if not slightly heavier. I am just hoping it will be as quiet as my Dell.

5. Kevin@GenTechPC

Kevin@GenTechPC Company Representative

Reputations:
    Should be:
    1 x Microphone-in jack
    1 x Thunderbolt 3
    1 x USB 3.1 Gen. 2 Type-C
    3 x USB 3.1 Gen. .2 Type-A Ports
    1 x RJ45 LAN Jack
    1 x HDMI (v 2.0) up to 4K @60Hz

6. dander

dander Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Should be as in the specs on MSI website are wrong or? Any clue if that's 2.0B? I'm starting to think that DP over TB3 isn't 1.4

7. Spring1898

Spring1898 Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Looking at these also, but $2800 for the 2080 max q is going to be tough on the wallet. That is a $400 premium over the 2070 max q, and a full $700 over the 2060, if the current pricing is to be believed. (Or another way of looking at it: $1000 more than I can hope to get for my Aero 15x...)
    And that is only with the i7-8750h

Personally I am not as huge of a fan of 4k screens in gaming laptops, since most laptop GPU's can't really drive them.
    It would be nice for editing on the go but also for the power consumption and lower refresh rate it is worth the trade.

By the way, does anyone know if the screen folds flat? That is a minor annoyance I have with my Aero 15x

CedricFP and hmscott like this.
  8. ryzeki

ryzeki Super Moderator Super Moderator

Reputations:
    It is definitely a huge premium ofer RTX2060. I actually think the RTX2070 max q vs the RTX2060 will be so close, the only actual upgrade will be the 2080 max q, but at a hefty price. I prefer high refresh as well instead of 4K.

What do you mean with screen folds flat? Like it doesn't have a tab or something to hold to when opening?

9. Spring1898

Spring1898 Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    The Aero 15x screen angle is limited to about 140 degrees. So depending on how you are holding it, the angle is not always optimal. A screen that opens a full 180 degrees at least would be helpful, but I have seen no one open the screen as far as it can go.

10. cgltower

cgltower Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    ++ higher resolution
    Use more for business / work than gaming. But still game a bit. I would prefer 4k or even 3k/1440p (although I think market has spoken that they do not want this res) with the 2060 for value, even though just 60Hz, in the thin GS75.