The NEW MSI GS75, 8th GEN Intel, NVIDIA RTX GPU with GDDR6!

Discussion in 'MSI Reviews & Owners' Lounges' started by -=$tR|k3r=-, Jan 7, 2019.

1. Kadaki

Kadaki Newbie

Reputations:
    Have you run any stress tests like prime95 or aida64 extreme? I agree that it sounds like a hardware problem.

2. Driftingnfsc3

Driftingnfsc3 Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    when i still had my gs75, the lid was only bowed slightly. it was actually the base that would warp in case you picked it up, placing more pressure on the left or right corner. whichever corner you put more pressure on when picking up the laptop, the opposite corner would have a gap when you closed the laptop. a light twist of the base in the opposite direction "fixed" the issue until it was picked up again without balanced force. you might not perceive the device flexing, but it does a bit, just enough that it becomes visible as a gap between the lid and based of the laptop, when the laptop is closed.

im kinda missing my gs75 right now :c was debating if i should get it back, but i told myself, only until someone else gave conclusive evidence as well as a solution to the lackluster performance of the 2070max q in the gs75. need more data :c

that said, if anyone else is willing to test this, try reinstalling msi dragon center from the one on msi's website and entering the turbo mode within the utility. post the firestrike scores before and after. i want to see what the effect is. i got a pretty big boost in performance (~5%) when i did that. im wondering if it was just the overclock (which apparently only the dragon center 2 overclock had an effect, and my afterburner overclock just made my system unstable), or if it really is something else being locked by dragon center.

mmm the fact that the razer blade 15 with rtx 2070 maxq is achieving the same performance as what reviewers are posting for the gs75 with rtx 2080 maxq...

Last edited: Mar 22, 2019
    Kevin@GenTechPC likes this.
  3. Drive-_-

Drive-_- Newbie

Reputations:
    Hey guys, have a question. I recently bought GS75 8SF, the 2070 version, with dual channel ram. Here is my 3dmark results (Full stock, not undervolted, not OC’d via MSI Dragon center) https://www.3dmark.com/fs/18671239
    The result is ok, but the temps of the GPU during physics test and combined test, was scary. According to 3dmark monitoring, GPU reaches about 88-89c. Have to mention that I had run HWmonitor while did the 3dmark, and according to HWmonitor, the max GPU temp was about 69-70c, which is normal, and this is actually the temp I have while gaming.
    So what is wrong?

4. GaryLYS

GaryLYS Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    possibly something is wrong with your graphic's driver, try to perform a clean install, based on the result you posted, 3Dmark couldn't identified the model of your gpu which could potentially mean that something is wrong with your driver

5. JRey

JRey Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Regarding 2080 Max-Q performance, there seems to be some weird bug in Nvidias drivers that is making the GPU perform lower than expected. To remedy the performance issues, I used DDU and nvidia driver slimmer, and only checked the items needed (everything in Core, NGX, and USB C).
    A couple examples of the actual performance I’m receiving:

Notebook Check scores
    My scores

Division 2, Ultra Preset, 1080p
    NBC - 69 FPS
    Me - 83 FPS

Shadow of the Tomb Raider Highest Preset 1080p
    NBC - 75 FPS
    Me - 91 FPS

Metro Exodus Ultra Preset, 1080p
    NBC - 47 FPS
    Me - 52 FPS

This is with the 80w variant in my GS65. Now, some reviewers might be getting lower scores due to single channel configs in their review units, but using driver slimmer has helped many of us in the GS65 forum regain performance that was lost. This is for all RTX cards.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

6. Zooport

Zooport Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    I see it isn't recognising your RTX 2070 Max Q either. I wonder why it isn't recognising that GPU because it doesn't recognise mine either.

7. Drive-_-

Drive-_- Newbie

Reputations:
    Idk. Found nothing about this in the forums. What was your GPU temps, during physics and combined tests?

Last edited: Mar 22, 2019
  8. cesc21

cesc21 Notebook Geek

Reputations:
    On that driver slimmer thing, is it already compatible with the new Creators drivers ? Do you know if these are as good as the normal version for gaming ?

9. JRey

JRey Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    I’m not sure, I don’t use the creator drivers but I’m pretty sure it’ll still work.
    I don’t know about gaming performance either, maybe someone can chime in.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

10. SinkyPitGuy

SinkyPitGuy Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Just got my GS75 yesterday. I took it apart and upgraded it to 32GB of memory so I wouldn't have to go in again. With LM repaste and undervolt, in games I'm never getting above mid-80's for GPU temps, with average in mid- to upper-60's. This laptop is sweet! Loving it so far.