The NEW MSI GS75, 8th GEN Intel, NVIDIA RTX GPU with GDDR6!

Discussion in 'MSI Reviews & Owners' Lounges' started by -=$tR|k3r=-, Jan 7, 2019.

1. JRey

JRey Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Gonna chime in even though I’m in the GS65 group.
    I had a 970 Evo 500GB and a 960 Evo 1TB. They’re fast drives.
    However, I recently switched both of them out for (2) 2TB Intel 660p drives. I see and feel NO DIFFERENCE in boot and game loading speeds. The only issue I found is when I copy a lot of files/folders over to the drive. After about 50GB, the drives write speeds take a dump. If you’re constantly writing stuff over 50GB to the drive, then you’re gonna have performance issues. But if you’re just using it to play games and stuff, you’ll be fine.
    I bring this up because I spent $440 USD for both drives while a 1TB Evo will set you back $250 USD.
    Also, go for dual channel memory. Single channel will bottleneck your CPU performance.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

nuggetbro likes this.
  2. nuggetbro

nuggetbro Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Thanks for the advise.

You have definitely answered the question for the performance drives. The only issues with the intel over the samsung is QLC I think. I don't think they are designed to perform or last as long as the Samsungs (I might be wrong).

I was told that the GS75 only supports 2 NVME drives and the 3rd slot is for a normal SATA m2 drive. Anyone played with this yet? Any recommendations for cheap large stuff to put in there?

I will probably get the intel or the samesung for game storage and then something big for photo etc..

3. JRey

JRey Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    The 2TB 660p are spec’d to last 400TBW over it’s lifetime. That’s honestly a lot. The 1TB and below are 200TBW and less which is why I went 2TB for my build.
    And the GS75 has 3 M.2 slots, 2 are NVME while the 3rd is SSD.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

4. hockeygod1225

hockeygod1225 Newbie

Reputations:
    I went with 2 860 evo 2tb drives and although they are sata and not. Nvme the transfer speeds are excellent. No performance Issues. Whatsoever.

5. nuggetbro

Reputations:
    For $300 AUD I can get a 1 TB Evo 970 plus. I might not need it, but I just spent 3k on a laptop, what is another 300! If I need more space, I will go get a 1tb 860 for the SATA slot. Is the drive that comes with it any good?

6. cesc21

cesc21 Notebook Geek

Reputations:
    Yeah the original drive is also a Samsung nvme drive, it's fast but not as fast as a 970.
    I went for a 1TB 970Evo + a 1TB 860 Evo in Sata and kept the original 512 nvme as a Cache drive.

SinkyPitGuy likes this.
  7. nuggetbro

Reputations:
    I ended up getting the intel 760p. I haven't seen any reviews.

It is NVME though, so should be plenty fast for what I need.

Which slot is the NVME and which is SATA? I couldn't see a label inside?

8. Kevin@GenTechPC

Kevin@GenTechPC Company Representative

Reputations:
    Key type indicates their differences.
    https://www.atpinc.com/blog/what-is-m.2-M-B-BM-key-socket-3

9. nuggetbro

Reputations:
    Thanks for the quick reply. So I must have put it in the correct slot, because it would only fit in 1 of them. When I look, they appeared to be keyed the same, but I must have not looked close enough.

10. cesc21

cesc21 Notebook Geek

Reputations:
    They did look the same to me too but the one next to the speaker is the SATA one if anyone else is wondering. The two on top facing each other are the Nvme ones.