The NEW MSI GS75, 8th GEN Intel, NVIDIA RTX GPU with GDDR6!

Discussion in 'MSI Reviews & Owners' Lounges' started by -=$tR|k3r=-, Jan 7, 2019.

1. evangelionpunk

evangelionpunk Notebook Geek

Reputations:
    Unless you want the GS65 there is no real good reason not to buy the GS75 instead. It is basically a 17" in 15" body with bigger keyboard with numpad, 3 M2 ports, better cooling, micro sd slot and an extra USB C port.

2. cesc21

cesc21 Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    About that, would it be possible to remap the keys fn and Windows with some software to invert them and physically pop the keycaps and invert them too ? They look to be the same size and shape...
    You still lose the "4 buttons on the left then spacebar" but at least it's easier to adapt to that than trying to Windows+E or +D with 2 hands.

3. jelenn

jelenn Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    GT62 (6 and 7 gen) have the option in bios to turn Fn to Win and Win to Fn key. Probably here is the same.

4. ryzeki

ryzeki Super Moderator Super Moderator

Reputations:
    That is why I like the Gs75, but some users prefer maximum portability and some don't like the numpad. The GS65 is like a 14inch with a 15inch screen, so it's more portable, and 15% lighter.

I personally wanted the numpad which is why I didn't consider the GS65. thermals should be about the same, I doubt it has better thermals. There is hardly room to improvement in such a tight chasis with current limits. I suspect they are the same in there.

custom90gt likes this.
  5. Atma

Atma Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Gaming on the GS75. Toasty CPU.

6. Doomii

Doomii Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Just received my baby (with 2070).
    Replaced a 5 years old GS60.

I'm used to the keyboard layout, the keys fell a little more punchy, quite harder to press, eager on release, i like that. It is a very quiet keyboard, which is great according to me.

The overall build quality is awesome, great improvement over my old GS60. No flex on screen nor case.
    The screen is bright, color uniformity appears perfect to my human eyes.
    No light bleed, pretty cool cause I had an ugly one on my previous GS60.

Quite idling while writing this message, CPU cores average temp is 61 degrees Celsius, which i find a bit high, no BIOS update so far on MSI website, but i do not worry, post-prod fixes are a common thing.

I booted Windows only once to extract the CD key, then installed latest Ubuntu. It's working but has room for improvements.

Wifi OK,
    Touchpad OK and really precise.
    Display detected and configured in 144hz by Nouveau driver.
    Smooth installation, boot, reboot, poweroff

BUT
    FN functions are dead
    Airplane mode auto turn on after sleep, need a reboot (says "hardware deconnected")
    Worst thing being Nvidia, no RTX mobile driver yet, so it's Nouveau and STFU. Support told me that it's "planned" but no commitment on a date.

Last edited: Feb 19, 2019
    Atma likes this.
  7. teltharian

teltharian Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
  8. nuggetbro

nuggetbro Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    This is a great video that shows the motherboard layout for anyone interested. It is definitely flipped for people who want to upgrade RAM and repaste, BUT it looks like their isn't many screws and plugs holding it in. Maybe it isn't to hard to do (I don't typically repaste, so not the right person to comment on this).

Seems they balanced performance for laptop noise. Maybe it can be pushed a little more, but I think that the 2070 and 2060 should perform really well, if the 2080 can do it without blowing up.

The biggest issue I have is build quality.

I am a big Vaio guy when Sony use to push the envelope. I still have a S15, and I feel like the laptop here has similar issues.

Sony tried to explain to customers that flex is important, especially if you drop it BUT their was a compromise in doing so. It feels flimsy, and from the video above, it definitely looks like it will bend quite a bit.

Screen bend I can live with, but it is pretty bad that if bends when you apply pressure to the keyboard and palm rest.

I think I would have preferred another 100-200 grams just to reinforce a little bit more around the keyboard and palmrest.

Otherwise I am really digging this laptop!

Atma likes this.
  9. seanwee

seanwee Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Hmm, it seems that the RTX2080 max-q in the GX701 has a higher tdp limit since linus is only taking the gpuz reported boost clock.

1590mhz vs 1200mhz on the GS75

Does anyone confirm whether the GX701 actually has a higher tdp for the 2080 max-q?

10. hmscott

hmscott Notebook Nobel Laureate

Reputations:
    Something to consider with the super thin hot running laptops is the Lithium-Ion battery packs are failing with many swelling and popping out of the laptop - pushing keyboards and chassis parts out.

@mason2smart went through Asus Zephryus and now Acer failed batteries.

Want to add anything @mason2smart ?