The New MacBook

Discussion in 'Apple and Mac OS X' started by ChrisAtsin, Mar 9, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ChrisAtsin

ChrisAtsin Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    I believe this is the first example of too thin on a laptop. One port and virtually no key travel. Also Core M processor and same starting price as a rMBP 13". If this sells well, I would have to say that Apple has the most legendary marketing team of all time.

2. Splintah

Splintah Notebook Deity

Reputations:
  3. infzy

infzy Notebook Geek

Reputations:
    It looks like a great piece of engineering, at solving a problem that is not interesting to me.

I think many people will love this: fits great in a purse or handbag, so small and light you don' tneed to notice or care about it but can still have a decent laptop for answering email and posting on social media. If you prefer Mac OS to Windows (who doesn't) and want a casual device with a keyboard. This is a comparable offering to the Surface Pro, although (and I say this as a person who hates Windows) surprisingly lame in comparison.

I'm looking for a small but powerful laptop with an excellent keyboard. This is not the product for me, it is less powerful and has a worse keyboard than my 5yo Acer TimelineX "netbook" (core i3). I'm trying to replace this crappy old laptop but nothing on the market today is good enough!

4. ChrisAtsin

Reputations:
    I believe that at this point the windows hate is unwarranted. Yes, Windows 8 was a horrible mess but 8.1 is great and there is no better device to showcase that than the Surface Pro 3. I don't see any reason to get that new macbook over a SP3. OSX is great but IMO it's not better than windows although I can see how people may prefer its aesthetics. How powerful of a laptop are you looking for?

5. Mitlov

Mitlov Shiny

Reputations:
    I think it's pretty. Really, really good-looking hardware.

I think having to choose between charging and hooking up an external monitor, or charging and inserting a thumb drive, is kinda crazy.

The ultra-thinness is counterbalanced by the need to carry a bunch of dongles or maybe a USB hub, at least for the next couple years. The developed world is overflowing with USB 2.0 and 3.0 devices, but USB Type-C? Haven't seen a single device in the wild yet that uses it. A laptop with no USB 2.0 or 3.0 may be "ahead of its time" and not quite in the good sense.

ajkula66 likes this.
  6. droyder

droyder Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    I've watched a few of the early hands-on reviews and they all mentioned that the keyboard and trackpad both have a very "mechanical" feel to them. The keyboard is being universally panned, so Apple will have to add some actual key travel to the 2nd generation next year.

More importantly, however, a Core M machine can't be a true 'desktop replacement', thus there's really no purpose for this device. Are we now supposed to believe that consumers need a phone or phablet, a tablet, a 12" underpowered notebook, and a 13" or 15" regular notebook? Of course not.

Regardless, I'm not an Apple consumer because OSX is complete junk, but I do respect their craftsmanship and attempts at innovation. No one can deny it's a nice piece of hardware to look at, but it doesn't serve any functional purpose.

Apple should've simply redesigned the 11" and 13" MBA and been done with it.

heibk201 likes this.
  7. ChrisAtsin

Reputations:
    I agree, it's a beautiful machine but little else. I also don't see much in term of innovation. I don't consider thinner to be innovative. The main reason why I have an OSX capable machine is xcode but I think it's a charming OS. I really like the Air and I was hoping they would redesign that with a retina screen and a smaller footprint but they didn't so I just ordered a new rMBP . I guess that would have to do for now. That new MacBook is too underpowered and flawed.

8. baii

baii Sone

Reputations:
  9. ChrisAtsin

Reputations:
    Lol I can't tell if you're serious with the thumb drive comment. And yeah, Apple has been resisting touch on OSX which makes sense for 13+inch devices but for 12 and under, some kind of yoga-like feature would not have been out of place.

10. T2050

T2050 Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    This thing I hate most about the new MacBook, is the prices of the MacBook Pro Retina 15 have jumped up 10%, yesterday they were cheaper to purchase. Now Apple have released this new MacBook at a high price, they have pushed up the top end tier pricing to widen the gap. Nasty and greedy!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.