The New Asus ROG Strix GL504G

Discussion in 'ASUS Gaming Notebook Forum' started by fayth, Jun 1, 2018.

1. yrekabakery

yrekabakery Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Thermals look promising?

[​IMG]

2. LeiEn

LeiEn Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    Great display on that thing too. 144hz 3ms IPS w/ 78% aRGB? That's a win. Not 4k, but may be some indication of the price point.

3. yrekabakery

Reputations:
    It is fantastic, too bad that AUO B156HAN07.1 is an Asus exclusive.

4. HAMSTERS

HAMSTERS Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Well, this must be short term max turbo of CPU. Most likely the CPU runs at much higher power such as 70 watt during physics test. Since the physics score is much higher than other 8750H laptop if you watch other videos. I don’t think thermal will be a problem to this laptop.

5. yrekabakery

Reputations:
    CPU went from 80C to almost 100C in just a few seconds in the Physics Test.

6. HAMSTERS

Reputations:
    If you read my post, and understand my sentences. This is very common when during physics test where CPU suddenly jump to very high package power. For example, in Dave's case, the CPU jumped to 70 or 80 watts during physics test resulting sudden temperature peak at almost 100c as well as higher physics scores. Meaning the CPU ran at higher processing speed than other gaming laptops. The gl504 has 70W PL1 and 90W PL2 bios setting.

7. yrekabakery

Reputations:
    So what you're telling me is, Asus should've throttled the CPU more to prevent a meltdown.

8. HAMSTERS

Reputations:
    I am saying, gl504 is able to maintain a higher clock speed and processing power under CPU load. However, it is definitely not going to stay at nearly 100c the whole time. I am sure it will throttle back to 45W tdp at some point. The idea is that the CPU performs better but you will have to live with higher temperature because of short term boost. After the short term boost, there will be no difference between asus and other competitors.

You can also manually set the CPU package power to 45W max which is the Intel's ARK specification. Then, the CPU won't hit 100c in physics test, but you get lower scores.

Last edited: Jul 1, 2018
  9. yrekabakery

Reputations:
    It's the same gimmick as others. Looks good in a 30 second 3DMark Physics Test or CineBench (while still running close to thermal limits), but falters under longer workloads or when both CPU and GPU are stressed due to the shared cooling design.

10. HAMSTERS

Reputations:
    The conclusion is up to you. As long as this is mobile CPU, and 45W package power is set by Intel, you can't expect too much from it for longer workloads. The only two ways to avoid this situation are buying a i9 laptop(unlocked) or desktop CPU(higher TDP design).