The MSI Overclocking Thread! (Stricly For OC)

Discussion in 'MSI' started by catacylsm, Jun 23, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Kirrr

Kirrr Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    GT628: a powerhungry Q9200 and Throttlestop. I achieved 3.2GHz@1.3V and 3.7GHz@1.375V. Gaming is okay, but stress test is always make a BSOD nearly 98*C :D

This is the limit of the chassis as well, because when I stopped playing at 3.7GHz the notebook made some crackling noise while it cools down. Like the cars hood after you stop the engine. Crazy. :D

2. unclewebb

unclewebb ThrottleStop Author

Reputations:
    Core 2 Duos and Core 2 Quads can run hot or they can run fast but they aren't very happy when you are trying to do both at the same time. A BSOD and some crackling is usually a good sign that you have found the limits of your CPU. Good work! :D

3. catacylsm

catacylsm Notebook Prophet

Reputations:

These are some fantastic results for the Q9200, before i had my ram explode on me, i managed to lock in a q9000 @ 2.7 ghz by some freak accident of playing with IDA function at the stock voltage, boy i would have loved some better ram at that point, had the ATI 4850 running marathons too but it didn't show much performance (Which im sure was due to outdated vbios)

The cracking noise made me laugh though haha, must mean that your making full use of the heat transfer system!, You should build yourself a decent custom notebook blower for that temperature perhaps?

4. Kirrr

Kirrr Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    As for cooling I use a Spire cooler. BSODs and crackling only happened when my bottom cover is on. If I use my laptop without the cover it stays in the low 80's@3.2GHz. I usually use it with an external monitor so the opened bottom is not a big problem.

The funniest is the WEI score which is 7.4 7.4 6.9 6.9 5.9 with the quad at 3.2GHz. But its 7.5 7.5 for the cpu and the ram on 3.7GHz. Man this is the league of SandyBridge cpus.

5. catacylsm

catacylsm Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    Well it shows that even the older architecture is not obselete to be honest, i remember a year or so ago when Mandrake was pushing the QX9300, had it running at 4GHz on each core in an M17, was incredible seing a laptop processor that high, now though you see it more and more, c2d and c2q architecture really went a long way!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.