***The MSI GS60 Ghost Pro 970M Owner's Lounge***

Discussion in 'MSI Reviews & Owners' Lounges' started by charliex3, Oct 7, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. charliex3

charliex3 Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    If it's FHD then surely it is :)

2. RMXO

RMXO Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Some people will say yes 3gb is more than enough for FHD. While others will say it depends on the game, because there are some game(s) that are badly optimized, coded and eat up a lot of RAM.

Sent from my SM-N910T using Tapatalk

3. BigFatDaddy

BigFatDaddy Newbie

Reputations:
    Well it's FHD but is it possible to show a 4k resolution on a 4k tv?

4. averhoeven

averhoeven Newbie

Reputations:
    I'm about to bite on the GS60 with 6gb VRAM, 256 SSD and the 1080p screen (framerate is more important than minute pixels to me). My only remaining niggles preventing me from clicking are the battery life estimates I've seen on the old machine (2.5 hrs of non-gaming activities like web surfing, etc) and an inability to see the build quality in person as I've never had an MSI machine. Can anyone with one of the new 970s comment on battery life? Has anyone (older models included) had any significant issues with hinges, etc on the GS60? I've seen some questionable comments, but wasn't sure what consensus was.

Also, I was curious if anyone knew of a compatible dock kind of set-up. I plan on toting it to and from work and it would be nice not to have to plug in the monitor, etc every time.

Thanks.

5. Derek712

Derek712 Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    I've heard DisplayLink is a pretty good solution for undockable laptops. Not sure how gaming is on it though.

6. charliex3

charliex3 Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    yes it is ... but you wont be able to game on 4K at ultra nor high

7. ashiyawolf

ashiyawolf Newbie

Reputations:
    Our studio just tried to order via agearnotebooks.com a MSI GS60 Ghost Pro 4K-079 with a 6 GB 970 GTX. We were told that MSI decided to not make that model, and we can only get it with 3 GB. They said 6 GB would cause overheating, plus there is no demand. To get 6GB, we have to choose a model that isn't 3K or 4K resolution.

Has anyone gotten a 4K model with 6 GB of ram? Can anyone confirm what agear told us? Does it make sense that 6 GB would make it hotter?

8. Derek712

Reputations:
    I think it was addressed earlier that it didn't have much of an effect. If it's important to you to have 3k or 4k, ask one of the custom shops if they'll replace the screen if you buy the FHD model. You can source both panels on eBay now but they might get a price break if they buy in bulk. Or you could do it yourself if you wanted.

9. andrew.gk

andrew.gk Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    How do I get my computer to stop sleeping/hibernating? I'v changed the 'Power and Sleep Settings' to never sleep or turn off the screen regardless if the laptop is charging yet it still turns off. The reason why I'm asking is I have about 100GB of files that I need to download but the laptop keeps going to sleep (even if I leave the lid open; I changed the option to 'Do Nothing" if I close the lid as well).

Edit: Nevermind, went into advanced options and found that my computer was set to hibernate after 15 minutes even though I thought I told the system never to hibernate.

10. Derek712

Reputations:
    Any particular white point you want?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.