***The MSI GS60 Ghost Pro 970M Owner's Lounge***

Discussion in 'MSI Reviews & Owners' Lounges' started by charliex3, Oct 7, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. kevin38423198

kevin38423198 Newbie

Reputations:
    Does anyone know where I can buy a replacement badge for the back cover? Mine's scratched very badly, and as they're only held in with glue, I'd like to replace it. If available even, I'd like to replace it with a WS60 workstation badge, because arriving at meetings with a monster gaming laptop doesn't really seem professional.

2. SGO1987

SGO1987 Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Haha I just saw your message! Glad to hear that it helped someone else :)

3. SGO1987

SGO1987 Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Bought the MSI GS60 6QE last October 2016 and after struggling to install Windows 7 (shared a guide: #2348), I've been enjoying it during these months.

However, I decided yesterday to update MSI True Color, Battery Calibration and SCM. I'm not aware if it's because of these updates, but I'm suddenly suffering a painful issue and odd behaviour. The CPU fan is turning off randomly at 40, 42 and 43ºC (checking through Dragon Gaming Center), and suddenly getting on at fast or maximum speed (from 4200 to 5300 RPM) for no reason, while iddle. As soon as it reaches again the previously specified temperatures, it starts again this off/on behaviour, which is very annoying and hadn't happened before. This behaviour usually starts when launching a game for a few minutes (no high temperatures despite playing for hours, normal behaviour), exiting and waiting in the desktop in iddle (when lowering temperatures to 40, 42 and 43ºC), but it is also happening despite not playing any game in the same day. If I restart the laptop it still happens, but the next day or after a few hours, I switch it on again and everything seems back to normal (well, CPU fan is always between 3137 and 3200 RPM even when correctly started; when I first have this laptop, it was reaching 2800-2900 RPM while iddle with the default EC Firmware)... until it starts again.

Obviously, I can't stand this behaviour (still on guarantee). I uninstalled SCM and Battery Calibration and install the previous version of SCM that was working correctly, but nothing changed. My EC firmware is up to date: 16H7EMS1.107. The funny thing is that the issue which is apparently solving this version ("Workaround for thermal fan goes into a stall randomly") is currently happening to me with this version since yesterday...

Is anyone suffering or had suffered the same? If so, how did you fix it? I thought about reinstalling the EC firmware 16H7EMS1.107.

Thank you very much in advance!

P.S: I've never used the MSI Silent software for editing the EC firmware.

4. Priidu

Priidu Newbie

Reputations:
    Hi!

I have installed the Win 10 Creators Update about a month ago. No issues so far until yesterday - bluetooth shows that it is not turned on in Win settings. I can not revert back to old Win10 version as I no longer have the recovery option. I have been using my bluetooth mouse on and off again without issues. It was still working yesterday. It stopped working suddenly yesterday after a restart. In Win 10 settings it shows that bluetooth is not turned on without any toggle visible to turn it on. Win troubleshooter says that there is no bluetooth hardware available on the computer. MSI SCM tool shows that bluetooth is enabled. Have tried downloading and installing all latest drivers from http://www.killernetworking.com/driver-downloads (including the Bluetooth Suite). I had issues with Bluetooth also when migrating from Win 8 to Win 10 but installing new Killer drivers resolved it then. Have tried to go through some of the suggested steps in forums but nothing seems to help.

Any ideas?

5. Léo Martin

Léo Martin Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    You must install SCM to have a fully functionnal Bluetooth

6. Creed17

Creed17 Newbie

Reputations:
    I have a MSI Ghost Pro 002 and after 20 minutes of gameplay my CPU thermal throttles 20% and reaches 83 Degrees Celcius causing shuttering. Anyone else have this issue?

Specs:

6700hq

970m 3GB

16GB of Memory

7. kaii456

kaii456 Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Hey all! I accidentally turned off my keyboard backlight while working in photoshop and I cant seem to turn it back on via Fn and the +/- keys on the side. I have no idea what I hit, all I know is that I was reaching for Alt+U , so some combination in that key range. May have something to do with Photoshop or Steam, GeForce Experience (given their annoying overlay features) as well? Was hoping to see if anyone knew anything. Thanks for the help and time!!

EDIT: Wasble to get them back on by restarting the comp (they popped back on a little after desktop loaded, but I would like to know what I hit to avoid future issues!)

Last edited: Jan 15, 2018
  8. Markas Grove

Markas Grove Newbie

Reputations:
    Hello all,

I wasn't sure where else to post this information, but many owners (including myself) of GS60s have experienced an odd sound after opening the laptop and installing an M.2 drive in the empty slot. It has been described as a ticking, double-clicking, heartbeat, metronome, popping, etc. The sound comes from a rear speaker near the power button. The sound also alarmingly sounds like a hard drive dying / sticking, but that was not the case. There are a couple of YouTube videos of this sound - here's one of them:

I commented on the video as well. I couldn't find a solution to this problem online other than unplugging the speaker or disabling sound. Neither are real solutions.

I opened up the latptop and found that upon replacing the upper-right fan into the chassis (if you're looking at the open laptop, lid-down, power button near the top) I pinched an audio wire that goes to that rear speaker. This was causing the speaker to ground out and resulted in the heartbeat-like popping sound.

It's been about a month since I fixed the issue. The sound has not returned and my rear speakers are still functioning perfectly. This is not an issue with the M.2 drive slot receiving undervoltage as some have suggested. The M.2 drive I installed is also functioning perfectly. So, as with the other 98% of computer problems, this issue turned out to be another case of user error.

Hope this helps.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.