***The MSI GS60 Ghost Pro 970M Owner's Lounge***

Discussion in 'MSI Reviews & Owners' Lounges' started by charliex3, Oct 7, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Shutar

Shutar Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Hi guys,

owners of this laptop - do you still recommend it?

I'm in the UK and have about £1k to £1500 to spend on a new laptop. My choices:

1. GS60 with 6gb GTX 970m - I can get for £1100, but concerned i may have some of the issues mentioned in this forum
    2. GS40 with 3GB GTX 970m - about same price but concerned about fan noise + overheating
    3. GS43VR with 6GB 1060 - the 7th gen Intel comes out in a few days but concenred that as its so new, not sure what issues it may have (i.e its not tried and tested) and i hear still has fan and heating issues
    4. GS63VR with 6gb 1060 - i think this is going to be out of my price range but wondering if anyone had thoughts about it?

thanks

2. Aryemis

Aryemis Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Well an update on mine GS60 2QE, bought in march 2015.
    15 days ago the SSD failed out of the blue, it's some kind of Kingston 128GB m.2 SSD.
    No sign of anything gone wrong on the SSD (no burnt compenements), and it isn't detected in either m.2 slot.
    So now it has a Samsung 850 evo m.2 500Gb SSD and 16Gb RAM, and is working fine with W10 pro.

Other than that, and needing to clean it every once in a while, it's been rock solid.
    It's a bit noisy, but that's to be expected with such a slim profile and reasonable temps (around 80°C on CPU and GPU when gaming heavily if there's no dust).
    The noise is very clean though, no annoying sound, just the woosh of air.
    It's just a bit noisy at idle, the minimum fan speed is a bit high for my liking, and it can't run passive if you're browsing the web or waching youtube.

Well it depends on what you want to do with this laptop, the 970M is kinda outdated at this point with the GTX 1060 in the newer ones.
    I wouldn't buy a 970M laptop now, but the GTX 1060 version should be very nice.
    I'm guessing you want this for gaming, otherwise I'd recommend something else with a quadcore i5 or i7 and lesser graphics (probably a XPS15).
    Have you looked at other options than MSI ?
    The GS60/63 is a pretty solid laptop, the only things I'd like to be better would be not having that big red badge on the lid, and better battery life.
    The battery life is really quite sad, 3h30 tops with pretty much everything turned off, not sure if there's much better in this form factor and performance in the competition though.
    It's also quite large for a 15", so won't fit (or barely) in most 15" laptop bags (edit: it looks like they've made the GS63VR a bit smaller from the online pics I've seen, so that shouldn't be an issue anymore).

3. Léo Martin

Léo Martin Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    My GS60 speakers are crackling, do you guys have any fix ?

4. mnewxcv

mnewxcv Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Hi everyone, I am a new owner of a GS60 ghost, so I thought I would post here and ask a question or two.

I had a sager/clevo W350ST for a short while over the summer, but ended up disappointed in its performance with a 4800mq and 765M because when loading both up for video rendering/exporting, the machine would get so hot and throttle. I ended up getting a desktop and cheap (non gaming) laptop.

Well, fast forward to now, I really miss having a powerful portable machine, and have been looking at various used models. I've seen MSI units and always considered them good value machines, tending to pack a punch without breaking the bank.

With that being said, I just ordered a used GS60 with a 4710hq, gtx970, and the 4K screen. The 4K screen was not on my list of requirements. In fact, I was looking for 1080p models. Am I going to be able to set the screen to 1920x1080 in windows? How about 2560x1440?

I already have a cooling pad I plan to use (was necessary with the Sager), but it sounds like these machines will run a bit cooler (at least I hope it doesnt throttle!). Do we also have any option for undervolting the CPU or GPU to reduce temps/power further?

5. thefatapple

thefatapple Notebook Geek

Reputations:
    Has anyone overclocked the 970m? How far did you successfully get? Or anyone got a thread with people experimenting with this? I've googled but found nothing so far

6. Aryemis

Aryemis Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    You can undervolt (and overclock up to 3.6Ghz, though the 47W TDP will limit that) the CPU easily using intel XTU, however be warned when the computer shutdowns brutally due to an error it will reset de default settings, in case you messed up the settings (you can save them though, so it's easy to set it back to what you want it at).
    For the GPU I believe you have to flash a custom bios to be able to undervolt it.

For the 4K screen, you can set 1080p in windows no problem, and it'll be nice and crisp (4 pixels for 1), not so much with 2560x1440.

If the temps you get are high, I'd recommend taking it apart and cleaning it and reapplying thermal paste to CPU and GPU, it really works for a laptop that's been running for a while.

As for power, something like GTA 5 that's pretty heavy overall and uses alot of CPU you end up at about 80° on CPU and GPU. But no throttling on either side. On prime 95, the CPU gets to 90°, but no thermal throttling, it throttles to the 47W TDP (3.2Ghz).
    Considering the GS60 has its intake vents on the top, a cooling pad probably won't do it much good, I don't use any personally. It may help a bit to cool the underside which does get quite hot.

Honestly you won't get much out of overclocking it. The cooling system doesn't really have enough headroom for that. You're better off getting a laptop with a GTX 1060 if you want more performance.

7. G-Force

G-Force Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    I have a GS60 Skylake with the 256GB NVME drive, no HDD. Is it normal that the HDD Led on the front doesn't work in this configuration?

Edit: returned for rma. Store told me it's a defect.

Edit2: not a defect, the led is only responding to sata drives. My model does not have a secondary drive, so the light doesn't work. After adding a hard drive, the light works but only for that drive. Not an issue at all, but I needed to be sure it wasn't defective.

Last edited: Mar 13, 2017
  8. Léo Martin

Léo Martin Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Hello !
    I would like to know what is max fan speed on this laptop ?
    Does 7700 RPM sounds ok ?

9. Kevin@GenTechPC

Kevin@GenTechPC Company Representative

Reputations:
    The fan doesn't max out at 7700RPM but somewhere at around 3000rpm.

10. kevin38423198

kevin38423198 Newbie

Reputations:
    This is not true. My GS60 2QE 4K idles at around 3000rpm when the fan is on, it reaches speeds of just over 7000 rpm when under heavy load.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.