***The MSI GS60 Ghost Pro 970M Owner's Lounge***

Discussion in 'MSI Reviews & Owners' Lounges' started by charliex3, Oct 7, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Yippee38

Yippee38 Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    I'm a moron. I finally got Windows 7 installed on my Ghost Pro, but I forgot to make a copy of the default wallpaper, and I really like it.

Would somebody please post that image someplace where I could download it (dropbox or the like)? The image I'm looking for is this one, but without the "No. 1 in Gaming" at the bottom.

2. Kevin@GenTechPC

Kevin@GenTechPC Company Representative

Reputations:
    It should be since the battery time is pretty high.

Did you also clean the vent? Have you done any repasting of thermal compound?

3. Priidu

Priidu Newbie

Reputations:
    @Kevin - I took the computer to the shop where I bought it from for maintenance. They did a proper cleaning of all insides, including vents and replacing the thermal paste. The over-heating issue is now completely resolved with both GPU and CPU temperatures remaining under 80c during stress tests.

However, I am a bit concerned if there might be any damage which might have been caused before the cleaning. Although I have done very little gaming or other demanding tasks with the computer in between. All diagnostics are ok, have not noticed any other issues and although the temperature was very high before cleaning (100c during Firemark test), it should still be within the max normal range for the CPU. Can`t really explin the drop in performance with 3Dmark benchmark. Intel XTU benchmark gives CPU results which reflect the normal figures for my 4720HQ.

4. Priidu

Priidu Newbie

Reputations:
    Found out what was causing the 10% drop in performance - the new Nvidia Geforce Experience software has a Share function (Press Alt+Z to share your gameplay). By turning this off (I never activated the Alt+Z combo but just turned off the feature completely from the software), the 3DMark score went back up to 6609: http://www.3dmark.com/fs/10997899

Is this normal score for 4720HQ/970M system? The 8000+ scores (http://www.3dmark.com/fs/4643860 ) are all over-clocked systems?

5. Léo Martin

Léo Martin Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Hello !
    When I wake up from sleep mode, ACPI.sys (system) process goes to 15 - 20 % CPU.
    Running on Windows 10, last EC / BIOS / Drivers.

Attached Files:

6. sinmara

sinmara Newbie

Reputations:
    Anyone else experiencing Windows 10/explorer freezing randomly on a GS60 2QE, e.g. until the point where a hard reset/reboot is the only way to get anywhere? It's not like the system freezes so the mouse pointer and everything is frozen; e.g., if it occurs while I have Chrome open I can still browse the web, but I can't do **** otherwise in Windows (open folders, log off, shutdown, etc).

I've seen a lot of discussion around various boards about Windows 10 freezing, and many of those point at a situation where a random 100% disk usage occurs. Now I can't tell if that's the case for me, but to me it seems to occur mostly when I start some process that involves disk activity, e.g. running Steam to update a game, or something like that. Also, when downloading stuff and writing to the disk is another situation where the problem often occurs.

All this started after the anniversary update in August; prior to that Windows 10 was running like a charm. Same for Windows 7 before I upgraded, and when running Ubuntu live from a USB stick. It has to be related to Windows 10 in some way. But for the sake of testing I'v run various tools to test for HW failure, but nothing so far. Memtest86, checkdisc, and other tools all report that everything is OK. In some other forums I've seen people claiming updating the firmware for the SSD did the trick, but I can't find anything at all for the SSD in my laptop (Toshiba THNSNJ128G8NU).

Any suggestions? Or anyone else experienced anything similar and managed to fix it?

Also, I'm considering changing the SSD to one that's slightly larger; anyone have experience with the process? And any specific SSD that can be recommended?

Last edited: Dec 18, 2016
    mason2smart likes this.
  7. Quicklite

Quicklite Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Does anyone know what charger the GS60 2PE ship with? (got the 970M+4710HQ model)
    Is it 120W or 150W or 180W?

Also is it normal for third party chargers to make noise?

Thanks,

8. Aryemis

Aryemis Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    It ships with a 150W (at least my 4720HQ 970M model does). I believe it won't use any more than 150W from the PSU even if it is rated higher, it's limited in the laptop, which is why the battery slowly goes down when you're playing very heavy games (CPU and GPU intensive games).

The noise you're hearing could be coil whine which is quite common in power supplies. Or a sign that the PSU is about to fail.

9. Ghost03

Ghost03 Newbie

Reputations:
    I had the same issues (GS60 6QE) but before the anniversary update. Even with a clean install of Windows the freezing was still there. The solution for me was to uninstall SCM, Dragon Gaming Center and all other MSI software. After that make sure to update any other drivers/windows updates. If you wan't to reinstall it make sure that SCM is not booted at start. I dont know why but that did the trick for me.

mason2smart likes this.
  10. mason2smart

mason2smart Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    Try reinstalling scm... Sometimes it takes several attempts....

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.