***The MSI GS60 Ghost Pro 970M Owner's Lounge***

Discussion in 'MSI Reviews & Owners' Lounges' started by charliex3, Oct 7, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Kevin@GenTechPC

Kevin@GenTechPC Company Representative

Reputations:
    Did you have this issue right from the beginning? Or did this issue just started developing recently?
    Have you tried updating the BIOS and EC firmware?

2. moussa247

moussa247 Newbie

Reputations:
    I bought the laptop used and the owner claims that he never had this problem, a bit scared to flash the bios as I need the laptop for uni and I'm afraid I'll mess it up lol, for now I've just been leaving the laptop in sleep. Thanks

3. Kevin@GenTechPC

Kevin@GenTechPC Company Representative

Reputations:
    Not saying it's risk free but BIOS & EC update on NB have been pretty safe and reliable while compared to desktop motherboards.
    For sure that if the system is unstable with potentially a defective memory module then it's best not to do it.

4. moussa247

moussa247 Newbie

Reputations:
    Cool thanks for the help! I'll do the BIOS and firmware updates right after I finish my project, just one more question is 2hr 30min a normal battery runtime for browsing and word etc? Thanks

5. Jamesaaaa

Jamesaaaa Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Hi all
    Can anyone confirm the presents or lack of PWM flickering on the full hd screen ?

thank you!

6. Jamesaaaa

Jamesaaaa Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    guys please help asap !
    does the full hd have pwm screen flickering ?

7. languidlion

languidlion Newbie

Reputations:
    Hi everyone,
    I've had the GS60 for a while now, and I'm absolutely loving it. During gaming yesterday I realized though that there are clusters of weird white dots in the top corners. Most of them on the top left side, but also some on the right side. They look like (white) stuck pixels, which I guess should be possible since it's a RBGW panel, right? None of the fixes for stuck pixels work though, and there is such a huge amount of dots, it would be weird to have so many broken pixels at once...
    I took a picture of a part of it: http://imgur.com/a/zQjNZ
    They look huge on the picture because I took it from close-up, in reality they are tiny, and there's dozens or even hundreds of them. Anyone have a similar problem, or any idea what it is and how to fix it?

8. moussa247

moussa247 Newbie

Reputations:
    Does the GS63 dragon center work with the GS60 by any chance?

9. Priidu

Priidu Newbie

Reputations:
    Hi! I had recently noticed that my GS60 was getting hot. CPU close to 100c under heavy load. Had it cleaned and now temperatures are back to normal.
    Tested with 3DMark Firestrike test but I am now getting lower than normal scores - 6210 total, Graphics Score 7047, Physics Score 8616 (http://www.3dmark.com/fs/10989513)

Tested last time back in May and got a much higher scores: 6730, graphics 7714 and physics 9296 (http://www.3dmark.com/fs/8621120). This should be normal values for the test. What can be the reason for the lower scores? Is it possible that some damage has occured with the overheating?

I am running Win 10, using High Performance power plan and Sport/Ultimate performance setting with Shift mode in Dragon Gaming Center. I have previously seen lowered scores when using different combination of these settings.

I did do a clean Win 10 install at some point but cannot recall if it was before or after the previous test with 6730 score. Can it be a driver issue? Or the Shift mode not working properly? I think I might have updated EC firmware as well somewhere along the way.

I get 62-63 fps in Bioshock Infinite benchmark. Temps are all good during Heaven Extreme test - GPU 75max, CPU 70 max. Intel Diagnostic Tool gives PASS, Windows Memory Diagnostics does not find any errors.

Any advice? Just a 3DMark anomaly?

10. Yippee38

Yippee38 Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Thank you SGO1987!!!! It worked!

Last time I tried it, I was using a different USB boot device tool. I tried it again using the one you listed in your guide, and it worked great. My system is now set up and running Windows 7!

You are my hero!

SGO1987 likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.