***The MSI GS60 Ghost Pro 970M Owner's Lounge***

Discussion in 'MSI Reviews & Owners' Lounges' started by charliex3, Oct 7, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. At4nas

At4nas Newbie

Reputations:
    Hello, lillumultipass99.
    I own a 2QE version which has a 4K display but I use it at 1080p resolution which I have owned for 9 months now. So far I've reached 3 hours at most while on Battery saver (Windows 10) with the brightness down to 25%, the keyboard lights OFF and only running the minimum background software. If you want to watch videos or listen to music, plugging in headphones/earphones helps conserve battery life. Full charging takes approximately 2-3 hours.
    There are some other issues I've experienced, though. If you're in a relatively dusty environment, do clean it often. Laptop gets dusty very easily so I clean the chassis 3-4 times per day and I still haven't cleaned the insides but they must be very dusty. Also, I play graphics-demanding games at 1080p resolution so the notebook doesn't burn to ashes due to the heavy load, but that should be obvious since the FPS also becomes very low. If you can get your hands on a Cooler Master Notepal X3 laptop cooler, it could be quite handy since it would lower core temperatures with around 5 degrees Celcius and also cool your hands while playing.
    If you have any other questions, feel free to ask. Would be glad to share what I know.

2. lillumultipass99

lillumultipass99 Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Thanks a lot for your answer! Yeah, 3H with those settings is indeed pretty low.
    I guess playing without the laptop being plugged is out of the question, right? But then, why get a laptop in the first place (Ok, I am oversimplifying things a bit...)?

I wonder if that's really the laptop I am looking for (I am also not an hardcore gamer, so maybe I should be looking at something a bit more polyvalent).

And, how does the Ghost handle day-to-day task, like editing a video, programming...I guess it is quite fast, right?

3. At4nas

At4nas Newbie

Reputations:
    "If the battery dies out so quickly, why get a laptop in the first place?" I have asked this question to myself many times. And the reason I come up with is fairly simple - from time to time I visit friends to play games or go to my hometown and that's when I actually need the portability of this laptop. It's also applicable to school/uni activities such as writing on a keyboard rather than on a sheet of paper but that's something any notebook could do. Weight matters to some, though.
    It's fast, yes. Really fast. Daily task are no sweat and I have no idea about coding or programming but when a video is being rendered (I use Sony Vegas Pro) it gets quite hot. I think it's fine, though, since some games give the CPU an even bigger push, so no problem there as long as the exposure is not too prolonged. I haven't rendered videos longer than 10 minutes (which takes around an hour and a half to render in 1080p), but maybe more than a 30 minute FHD video could make a bit of an impact on the thermal paste. If that's how you're planning to use it, do give it a good change of thermal paste every few months.
    As for other gaming laptops, there are some that could be compared to the Ghost Pro. Keep in mind that these are just what I found after a 5-10 minute search so if you choose one of these, don't feel obliged to find the absolute same model. For example there is: ASUS GL552VW-CN211D, Toshiba Satellite P50-C-17M, Lenovo Y50-70, Acer Aspire V5-591G, ASUS N552VX-FY209D. For video editing and programming CPU is important, so an i7 6700 is the best there is for now (as far as i know).

4. okica11

okica11 Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Hello everyone !
    Did any of you try to use external hdd dock (usb 3.0) on msi gs60 6qe? I have strange problem (dock for sure works on other machine w/ win10 and usb 3.0).
    Disc and device is recognised and I can open files from disc normally, however I can't write files bigger than ~100mb on it. Transfer starts but after few seconds speed falls to 0. After that disc stops responding and windows disconnects the device.. I did update chipset but it doesn't help :(

Any ideas or did anyone had similar problems with transfer stopping after few seconds?

edit: @lillumultipass99 I have this laptop for exactly 6 months (yay !). Its super fast and really portable. But as you notice battery life REALLY sux. I mean.. It's bad.. Very bad. For me it lasts 1 length of a movie (+- 90 min) at 30-50% brightness, no wifi, no internet, balanced or power saving. For typing and easy tasks I think it would last 90-120 min but I guess this is max (also brightness at medium and MAYBE no wifi/bt. More than 2 hours, in my opinion, is hard to achieve (you would need really easy program, minimal brightness and all power saving options you can turn on :p )

Before I bought it I knew the battery is bad but I didn't find any light, slim, powerful laptops to compete to msi gs60 (6qe). Ofcourse there were some alternatives but most of the time i found things that MSI had and other didn't (like ddr4 or NVME ssd or high price). I also use it to render videos+play some games+use other adobe programs+school works and it works well. In heavy tasks (eg. rendering, gaming) it gets really hot (+-85 C) but more important very LOUD (fans).

At that time (end of 2015 start of 2016) I was also considering those laptops:
    MSI GS60-6QE4K16H21
    msi ge62
    Apple MacBook Pro 15.4
    MEDION ERAZER X7842
    MSI GS70-6QE16H21
    Alienware A17-9942
    ZenBook Pro UX501
    Asus ROG G501
    Schenker XMG P506
    Aorus-X3-Plus-v5
    Gigabyte-P34W
    Razer-Blade

Maybe those links will come in handy for you...
    http://www.notebookcheck.net/Aorus-X3-Plus-v5-Notebook-Review.156356.0.html

http://www.notebookcheck.net/Face-Off-Aorus-X3-Plus-vs-Gigabyte-P34W-vs-Razer-Blade-14.142980.0.html

http://www.notebookcheck.net/Asus-G501JW-FHD-Notebook-Review.145339.0.html

http://www.notebookcheck.net/Razer-Blade-14-Early-2015-Notebook-Review.138997.0.html

http://www.notebookcheck.net/Face-Off-Aorus-X3-Plus-vs-Gigabyte-P34W-vs-Razer-Blade-14.142980.0.html

http://www.notebookcheck.net/MSI-GE62-6QD-Apache-Pro-Notebook-Review.156814.0.html

http://www.notebookcheck.net/index.php?id=127065&specs[]=29724&specs[]=27743&specs[]=27371&specs[]=29696

http://www.notebookcheck.net/Aorus-X3-Plus-v5-Notebook-Review.156356.0.html

http://www.notebookcheck.net/MSI-GE62-6QD-Apache-Pro-Notebook-Review.156814.0.html

Last edited: Jul 26, 2016
  5. I.montiago

I.montiago Newbie

Reputations:
    Battery life is not great. Probably 3-4 hours when you are doing normal computing. This is a great machine just be ready to be attached to your battery pack. Also I'm not sure any high powered gaming machine would be any better. You would need something designed for that

6. I.montiago

I.montiago Newbie

Reputations:
    Hello everyone. I am having trouble with my touchpad. I dropped my phone on it and it dented in the bottom right corner so nothing can be clicked. I hate sending off my machine for repairs as I had issues the last time I did. Can I open up the bottom and easily access it or is it blocked by other parts.

7. Prostar Computer

Prostar Computer Company Representative

Reputations:
    @I.montiago - The touchpad and touchpad board usually are not easily accessible. I can't recall whether this model is one of the exceptions or not, but you can remove the bottom case assembly and take a look. If you can't see the bottom side of the click buttons, I think you'll have to remove the motherboard to access them.

8. shadowMatador03

shadowMatador03 Newbie

Reputations:
    That is strange. -30mV is a very minor undervolt. My GS60 CPU undervolt setting is -185.5mV. Done Prime95 (10 min test) & CPU intensive games (GW2 ~4hrs) stress test. Any higher and I get errors from test results on Prime95 but no crash from computer.

Stress testing using Witcher 3 (to get max temps) and letting my character stand next to a scene with lots of characters and physics I got two results, one with undervolt CPU and one with without the undervolt. Max FPS set to 45.

The results on 'comfort mode' without undervolt is a max CPU temp of 81°C and GPU temp of 88°C.
    With undervolt is a max CPU temp of 71°C and GPU temp 88°C.

The below follow up test where with undervoltage active.
    'Sport mode' gives same results as 'comfort mode'. CPU: 71°C, GPU: 88°C
    On the other hand 'Green mode' gives a small max temp drop in CPU for a max of 67°C. The GPU on the other hand gets a huge temp drop for a max temp of 73°C. (You also get a 5fps drop in Witcher 3)

*Note that these were taken in a room with no AC in Summer. Ambient temperature is 85°F with a humidity of 75%. Basically the same as outside. I imagine in a place with AC and controlled humidity like a library the max temperatures will drop by 5°C~7°C or even more.

9. link626

link626 Asus GL502VM, Lenovo Y580, Asus K53TA

Reputations:
    do you guys have any issues running multiple monitors simultaneously with the hdmi and usb-c ports?

10. Yippee38

Yippee38 Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    I've recently been having lots of problems with my Killer Networks (1525) wireless adapter. It won't connect to any network. I have to reboot the computer multiple times and keep trying the connection. Eventually it will connect. Last night it took me about 2 hours to get connected.

Anybody else having problems with this card?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.