***The MSI GS60 Ghost Pro 970M Owner's Lounge***

Discussion in 'MSI Reviews & Owners' Lounges' started by charliex3, Oct 7, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. kaii456

kaii456 Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Update on my "gargling" CPU fan noise: I didn't mention that a few of the rubber feet on the bottom were coming out of place/ were already off (specifically the back ones near the fans and the little one in the middle) because I didn't feel that was part of the problem and I used a desk anyway ,so I didn't seem much haste in gluing them back on quickly. Last night, I set some epoxy on those that were out of place/ off and this morning the fan sound is clean as a whistle! I would have never thought that these were the cause of the issue, but maybe it can help someone out there who is experiencing similar troubles! Thanks for the help!

2. okica11

okica11 Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Hi, lucky for me, I havent had this problem for quite a wille now. I will update drivers for audio anways. :)

3. 54918ss

54918ss Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    How hard is it to upgrade the m.2 memory slot. Also what's the original one in the laptop? Is it similar to the 950 pro? Iv got the msi gs60 6qe the latest version

4. okica11

okica11 Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Hi, I have same laptop (msi gs60 6qe - skylake 6700hq+ 970m) and I asked for upgrade from stock 128gb to samsung 950 pro nvme ssd and they (store) did it for me. As far as I know changing SSD rather than HDD is harder on msi 6qe because ssd is on "the other side" of motherboard- that was main reason why I ask them to change it for me. I'm not 100% sure but I think that I read that there are also some problems when installing NVMe ssd and windows (ssd wasn't recognised when installing windows).

Good luck! :)

5. xor01

xor01 Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Any news when MSI GS63 start to sell? I'm really considering this notebook for traveling purpose.

6. aqnb

aqnb Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    At Computex MSI told GS63 with Pascal GPUs should come to market in October 2016.

Some GS63 version with Maxwell GPU may come earlier (I think I have seen somewhere mentioned August?), but it doesn't really make sense to buy anything but Pascal.

7. xor01

xor01 Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    I see... well I hope they're on schedule. really looking forward to get this 15" notebook.
    i actually wanna go smaller and lighter with the MSI GS40 series, but since no update announced for that line, I guess 15" will do.

8. Chris_c81

Chris_c81 Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    I have the GS60 6QE which came with a 128GB M.2 and a 1TB HDD. I swapped out the 1TB HDD for a 480GB SSD. That was pretty painless, just a case of removing the bottom cover, disconnecting a ribbon cable and lifting out the old HDD. I watched a video on the M.2 replacement and it's a bit more involved but not too difficult from what I could tell.

Does anyone know how easy it is to upgrade the memory? Mine shipped with 8gb. Would be nice to chuck another 8gb in there.

9. xor01

xor01 Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    it's a bit of a chore because the ram slots are on the other side and the only way to access them is by disassembling parts one by one. There's a youtube video for it (or maybe for MSI GS70, i forgot). But since GS60 and GS70 share similar layout with ram slots on the other side of the motherboard, i believe they share the same difficulty.

10. lillumultipass99

lillumultipass99 Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Hello everyone,

I am looking for a gaming laptop that is neither too big nor too heavy, hence I found the Ghost pro.
    However, there seems to be some issues with it and the battery life seems mediocre. What kind of battery life do you get for non-gaming stuff, like doing some word/excel, Chrome with some stuff in the background?

All in all, would you recommend this laptop?
    I was also looking at the Razr ones, but they are very hard to find (if not impossible) in France.

thanks!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.