***The MSI GS60 Ghost Pro 970M Owner's Lounge***

Discussion in 'MSI Reviews & Owners' Lounges' started by charliex3, Oct 7, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. HussainQ

HussainQ Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Hi guys.

I have a GS60 4k 2qe (Broadwell). I was thinking to downgrade the 48Hz 4k panel to a 1080p matte one, or a 4k panel from the new skylake version. Do you think that will remove the refresh rate limit?
    Any other information would be helpful (PS I'm super new to this stuff).

Thanks

2. Kevin@GenTechPC

Kevin@GenTechPC Company Representative

Reputations:
    Yeah, because the limitation is on the panel itself so if you switch to a regular 1080P panel then you wouldn't have any limitation on the refresh rate.

3. kaii456

kaii456 Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Hey everyone, glad to see this thread is still kicking :D.

So there's a slight issue that popped up with my model two days ago: The right fan for the CPU has been making this higher pitched "gargling" sound that's a tad bit annoying... I opened the back up just to see if I could see if any stray hairs were flying around in there, but there was nothing but light dust. I didn't open the back up to the fans all the way because I didn't feel like digging that deep into the system and screws for fear of breaking something, but from where I could see there wasn't any interference with the fan. The left fan is doing fine and isn't making the noise, and I'm at a lost as to what to do. Should I just live with the sound? Got my PC from Gentech in Oct' 15 should I send it in for repairs from MSI?

4. Kevin@GenTechPC

Reputations:
    See if you can reseat the CPU fan and test it again after. If the symptom persists then you may need to replace it due to possibly a worn out bearing of the fan.

5. kaii456

Reputations:
    Hmm... I see... Would I have to take out the motherboard in order to do that? On the disassembly video I saw, I saw them lift it along with the board, but I want to remove as little as possible to get to the fans. What are the main things I should just remove to get to the fan disassembly?

Additionally, does it help to say that the fan makes different sounds based on the laptop's positioning?? For example, if the gargling gets a bit louder, if I shift the laptop a bit in different direction the gargling gets quieter. This is also the case depending on whether the unit is on my desk or on its fan stand. Also. the fan makes a harsher sound when the unit is on and I lower it in mid air quickly. Would any of these additional "symptoms" point it in the direction of needing repair or just needing to be reseated?

Last edited: Jun 30, 2016
  6. Kevin@GenTechPC

Reputations:
    No you won't have to but please be careful while working on it because any accident cause certain components to become damaged without notice.
    If the fan bearing is worn then it will not spin with balance therefore the blades can be rubbing against its housing. Since it's still under warranty, it is a better option to have MSI resolve it for you.

7. kaii456

Reputations:
    Haha ^^" Thanks for the tip, but now I'm a bit more worried seeing as I can damage things without noticing. I'll consider sending it into MSI now. Thank you!!

8. yjacket2001

yjacket2001 Notebook Geek

Reputations:
    It doesn't matter. MSI machines never work right anyway. On paper, they are a perfect machine. But you are always repairing them, down loading this, or downloading that. BS, a Sony or Acer works perfect for many years without needing constant revised downloads. I could damn sure use the $2500 I spent on my paperweight: and that does not include months of product selection and trying to get mine going for two consecutive years (2 months each year starting up, plus 4 months spent on getting my $100 coupon back from MSI!)

If you are still within a return warranty, GO FOR THE REFUND! I don't care if you lose 60% net, they are a constant headache and you need an Acer or Sony anyway while you are constantly repairing your MSI pc. Good luck, or better yet, sell it and let someone else enjoy your continuous nightmare.

9. Vort Max

Vort Max Newbie

Reputations:
    I'll go out on a limb here and suggest you update the audio drivers to Nahimic version 2. It's a two step process outlined on their support page that also involves updating the Realtek HD Audio drivers first. It completely resolved some gremlins I was having with my machine. You've probably already resolved this, but if not...

10. HussainQ

HussainQ Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Thanks for the reply. Would you happen to know where I can get one that would work?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.