***The MSI GS60 Ghost Pro 970M Owner's Lounge***

Discussion in 'MSI Reviews & Owners' Lounges' started by charliex3, Oct 7, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. okica11

okica11 Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Update: Right now I had another crash this time active window was MS word 2016 but Chrome was in background with 4 tabs opened (wp page, gmail, school page AND YOUTUBE). Music was playing in this tab (until pc froze). First time now, there wasn't this strange buzz sound and it was first time that I had my headphones on (previous time I used pc speakers). Again, PC was totally "frozen". I tried and unplug power cord, mouse and headphones (everything). Nothing changed. Other things that were running were: file explorer, snipping tool, chrome, word 2016 and connectify. Other programs that for sure run in background are onedrive, dropbox, dragon center, samsung magician, ...

Windows power mode was set to high performance, MSI shift to green.

I haven't had time to check the RAM. I desperately need PC for school work and I don't have other device around me. I will try to test it at the end of this weekend.

Now, my new blame is chrome with youtube opened. Maybe html5 problem? I'm not sure, just guessing.. that's pretty much all I can do at the moment...

2. MSI-Gman

MSI-Gman Newbie

Reputations:
    I feel like some integral driver could also cause this. Did you try updating any driver in the past week before the issue?

3. okica11

okica11 Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Honestly I don't remember updating any drivers or doing anything special before first ever "freeze". Between 1st "freeze" and the latest one yesterday (4th or 5th I think) I for sure didn't change any drivers (because I know something is causing trouble now.. First I would like to be able to reproduce this problem when I want, then step by step I will try different solutions so I can know for sure that problem is, indeed, solved ;) ) . Only thing I did change in this time is new reinstall of google chrome. :)

Edit: I will immediately stop with testing if someone had same problem and he/she know what was causing it fixed it, I don't know, by updating bios :)

4. albdy

albdy Newbie

Reputations:
    Does anyone have any issues with Chrome? After about 10-15 minutes of usage, Chrome just stops loading any more pages, and when I close it, it refuses to reopen unless I restart the computer.

Also, about 1 in 10 times when I shut it down or restart it, the computer just hangs on Shutting Down and I have to force it to shut down.

I've downloaded and installed all the latest drivers from MSI's website except for BIOS and VBIOS.

I'm a fresh convert from OSX and I'm getting pretty frustrated here. This is a brand new laptop with all the latest drivers!

5. Aryemis

Aryemis Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Hey everyone
    I've had my GS60 for about a year now (haswell 970M version), but lately I've noticed the CPU gets super hot when I'm gaming.
    I've undervolted the CPU it a bit, but really not much else it crashes occasionally (I'm running maybe -30mV), it's a bit underclocked, I have it running at max 3.2Ghz on 4 cores.
    I also use Silent Option to prevent the fan from stopping when at idle (else it's stopping and starting again all the time), and I also make the fan run at full blast (7000rpm) when it gets hot.
    But despite al that the CPU gets really hot (hits 95°C on each core) when gaming on things like GTA 5 or Overwatch.
    My laptop does stay in a pretty dusty environment, so maybe that's it, but it still does surprise me that it gets that hot. Is it normal that it is so hot ?

The GPU temps are fine, usually high 70's low 80's when gaming, which follows the dust theory, since the GPU fan really doesn't spin that often.

I'm planning on taking it apart and cleaning it entirely for dust, and probably putting some better thermal compound to help with this once I'm done with my exams.

Last edited: May 19, 2016
  6. Spiderlily

Spiderlily Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    I am in the market of shopping around for a gaming laptop and MSI GS60 6QE 4K is on the list.

Can someone with 4K screen take a picture to illustrate how bad the screen light bleed is so that I may know what to expect?

7. Aryemis

Aryemis Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    I thought the issue with the 4K screen was more the mustard yellow.
    That and the fact that 4k on a 15" screen means you have to use the windows zoom, and it can be absolutely horrendous.
    Oh and you can't really game at 4k on a modern game with a 970M.

I have a 1080p screen, and without any zoom, things get pretty small already (and I have good eyes).

8. Spiderlily

Reputations:
    That's what I thought too, only 1080p panels are affected by the light bleed issue. But I also found some reports while googling about the 4k variant as well. Hence, I wanted to see if any 4K owners can chime in.

I took the plunge this afternoon and ordered the 4k one. Now the waiting game begins!

9. Xta-c

Xta-c Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    I have the 1080p version and I think I'm one of the luckier ones to have very minimal light bleed.

10. Spiderlily

Reputations:
    Yay, my GS60 6QE was finally delivered yesterday.

To answer my own question about the 4k screen backlight bleed - it's pretty non-existent on my 4k model.

I do have a question regarding fan control. Is there a way to make the fan 1 speed run lower than 2900 rpm constantly? I find it a bit audible at such frequency.

I've looked into Silent Option but it's not working on the Skylake model.

There is a member at the offical msi forum mentioning "Fan Control Tools by Pherein" works on the 6QE but it doesn't allow the user to go lower than 2900 rpm. It's either completely off or 2900 and up.

Does anyone else know a solution to the "fan problem"?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.