***The MSI GS60 Ghost Pro 970M Owner's Lounge***

Discussion in 'MSI Reviews & Owners' Lounges' started by charliex3, Oct 7, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. GenTechPC

GenTechPC Company Representative

Reputations:
    When you say it didn't happened outside of Chrome is that mean it work fine on other browsers such as Edge, IE and Firefox, or you mean you just don't use browser at all?

2. okica11

okica11 Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:

I agree. I'm 99% sure it is software rather than hardware problem. Factory recovery is in plan, but REALLY as last resort :). I have serious problem reproducing the problem.. It happens so randomly that I have hard time indicating possible causes...

I don't use other browsers. As said before, it's impossible for me to "force" my pc to crash like shown in video. If there would be, I don't know, some strange web pages which would always crash pc I would try them in other browsers for sure :). Thinking back to previous crashes, only thing all had in common was opened chrome, and other background tasks.

Funny thing: week before my post there were 2 crashes in that week. Now, since this post: none.

I think I will re-install chrome.. AGAIN

3. GenTechPC

Reputations:
    Or maybe try another browser before re-install Chrome to isolate the issue.

If you think it was cause by faulty RAM you can try memtest : http://www.memtest86.com/ to see if your RAM is stable.

For GS60, it's too difficult to remove 1 stick of RAM to test.

4. Prostar Computer

Prostar Computer Company Representative

Reputations:
    @okica11 - I really doubt it's Chrome that's your common denominator. Possible, but... if you're going to reinstall it again, try a different version. You can visit any mirror site to see different versions available for download.

I don't know that this will help, but you can try using system cleanup software; something like Ccleaner or Glary Utilities. It's a long shot, but every once in awhile they actually fix something (even though their purpose is aimed at cleaning up "junk data").

5. albdy

albdy Newbie

Reputations:
    Does anyone know what the BIOS and VBIOS updates do? Are they worth installing/is there any risk in installing them? I'm not sure how much I want to mess around if everything seems to be working okay.

6. GenTechPC

Reputations:
    They are updated to fixed issues and yes, there are risks since something may go wrong during update causing mainboard malfunction.

7. okica11

okica11 Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    I will try memtest86 in near future (maybe tonight). For the past day I have installed this version of Chrome: Version 50.0.2661.94 m . I'm not sure which version did I use but I know that after 1 reinstall I used x64 version of chrome. (current one is x32 as far as I know) . I do use ccleaner regularly, but unfortunately it didn't help :( . The only thing I can do now is to test the RAM and wait for problem, if it appears again..

If anyone have any other idea, don't be shy recommending :p

Thanks for all advices so far!! :)

8. MSI-Gman

MSI-Gman Newbie

Reputations:
    You really should use Memtest86. They made it so easy to download and use now. Ive both Corsair and Crucial memory sticks die on me and cause all kinds of random issues even after replacing the ram cause something got corrupted. So pleaseeeee check it first. My memtest86 took 14 hours on my GS60 spec.

Also have had CCcleaner cause issues...so thats why I dont really recommend that stuff. Best bet is to download some of the drivers off MSI's website (asside from the horrid Intel Rapid Storage garbage that caused issues for me lol) and make a USB for Windows 10 (Which also is really really easy now thankfully). This will probably the end of your issues as long as your hardware isnt bad. And clean installing is not so much of an issue anyways now.

I would just quickly go offline when desktop logs in for the first time though, to avoid Windows 10 downloading drivers for you. Then download your own from the USB that you made ahead of time.

9. MSI-Gman

MSI-Gman Newbie

Reputations:
    Also, what do you guys think my GS60 is worth if I sell it?
    Specs are:
    i7 4th Gen - 6GB GTX 970 - 16GB DDR3 1866 mhz - 2x256 GB SSD Raid 0 / 7200 rpm HDD - IC Diamond Thermal Paste

And in very good condition physically. Initially bought it from a retailer for $2.4k with those parts installed from them (Model is 2QE-064)

10. GenTechPC

Reputations:
    Apparently there is something wrong in the hardware since system shouldn't just freeze by open Chrome. But it's also common that it wasn't even a defective RAM but the RAM just got loose in the slot.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.