***The MSI GS60 Ghost Pro 970M Owner's Lounge***

Discussion in 'MSI Reviews & Owners' Lounges' started by charliex3, Oct 7, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. asincero

asincero Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    I'm in the market for a new gaming laptop, and the MSI GS60 Ghost Pro looks like would be a good fit for me, except for it's battery life. Does anybody know of any portable battery packs that could work with this machine? That might help alleviate some of the short battery life issues.

2. okica11

okica11 Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Hello everyone! I have problem with my gs60 6qe. So far this problem accrued 4 times within 10 days+-. I'm thinking back and forth and only idea I have is that only thing in common when this problem accrued is google chrome. I did reinstall it, it did not help. Also if perhaps problem is google chrome, I must confirm that I quite commonly see "owh snap" randomly, when there are few tabs open. Maybe problem with RAM or communication with it? Take a look of those two videos (They are NOT! slowed down or edited in any way). and

Thanks for ideas :)

3. Prostar Computer

Prostar Computer Company Representative

Reputations:
    @okica11 - The audio issue?- where it sounds kind of mechanical, kind of... evil? (If yes, then are you hearing this problem under any other applications/scenarios outside of Chrome?)

4. GenTechPC

GenTechPC Company Representative

Reputations:
    It's most likely the Electromagnetic Interference, what you can test is move the AC adapter or other electronic device away from the laptop just to see if it makes difference.

Something inside the laptop (most likely GPU) or around the laptop (AC Adapter) is draw current generate magnetic fields, it cause sound card to make buzzing sound.

Other things you can try just for testing purpose is run the laptop only on battery and disconnect the power cord from the AC, also try update the drivers.

Since GS60 is a laptop and pretty much all components are soldered, so if the cause are not the AC adapter or other EMI around the laptop then MB replacement is needed.

5. lhkplayer

lhkplayer Notebook Guru

Reputations:

this guy gets 60 fps with a 970m easy, but when I play DS3, I have to set everything to low, set the res to 1440x900 to get the smoothness. I am just wondering my 970m is broken or what, the fps drop from time to time when I play LoL, now its not doing remotely close to this guys 970m when I play DS3. About the heat problem, I tested it with the same setting that guy had when I booted up my gs60 for the first minute, and I played the game only for less than a minute just try and get the same fps that guy had, so it was not overheating and I got almost 10 fps less than the alien guy and the smoothness wasn't even there. Can somebody please kindly explain this to me, really appreciated.

Last edited: May 6, 2016
  6. lhkplayer

lhkplayer Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    something I noticed that is my 970m cannot reach 100% utilization, always below 70%...

7. lhkplayer

lhkplayer Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    I poked the hole on the right side, and seems like the problem solved, it hit 55- 60 fps just like the alien guy did at the same place. Already beat the game in 1440x900.

8. okica11

okica11 Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Sorry for late reply! I forgot to mention something important: when this happens whole notebook freezes. I can't do anything other than shut down notebook with pressing power switch for ~5 seconds. I highly doubt problem is mechanic (only thing "mehanic" in pc are 2 fans and HDD) or caused by magnetic fields. This sound is for sure coming out of speakers. Otherwise speakers are working fine.
    Until now it didn't happened outside of chrome (I do play some games, do office jobs, watch films and do video rendering).

9. Prostar Computer

Prostar Computer Company Representative

Reputations:
    No worries about the delay. :vbsmile: This sounds like a software problem; the audio issue is probably synonymous with the system hanging. You can test each individual program to see where you can reproduce the problem; this might help you isolate the cause. Alternatively, you could just do a factory recovery (back up your data first) and then go from there.

10. caikovsky

caikovsky Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    How exactly did you fix your problem?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.