***The MSI GS60 Ghost Pro 970M Owner's Lounge***

Discussion in 'MSI Reviews & Owners' Lounges' started by charliex3, Oct 7, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. At4nas

At4nas Newbie

Reputations:
    Thank you for your prompt replies, Kevin@GenTechPC and Prostar Computer!

I have updated the DoubleShot software and after it was done the connection became limited ("Wi-Fi doesn't have a valid IP configuration" error was found). I fixed it by manually inputting the IP address and DNS server address in the TCP/IPv4 with the cost of the Killer network being offline. I can only suspect the cause for such a thing to happen.
    The report from AIDA64 shows 1% wear level.
    I have considered going with a system refresh before but the fact that many programs including a number of games will be deleted has stopped me until now. I may just have to do it soon enough.
    I am not sure what "removing running any system cleanup utilities" means. I downloaded those and scanned my PC, scanned all discs and cleaned whatever I was sure I wouldn't need.

2. Kevin@GenTechPC

Kevin@GenTechPC Company Representative

Reputations:
    Once you run refresh it will restore to the factory defaults so anything suspicious that might be running in the background gets removed as well. :)

3. caikovsky

caikovsky Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Already sent him an e-mail. Thank you!
    Also, I believe I saw somewhere (maybe the GS60 manual) that the HDD slot works with mSATA as well, so this kept me wondering if it changes anything besides the type of the slot.
    By the way, is the GPU reaching 85c while playing normal? Because it was not like that before and I think it gets so hot the battery level decreases over time.

4. aqnb

aqnb Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Depends on the game: ones with heavy graphics can easily hit mid-80s C (Crysis, Witcher), games with simpler graphics / older games will get less.

Also keep in mind temperature outside of notebook matters. I had my GS60 already for ~1.5 years. In summer you can get ~10 C higher CPU / GPU temperatures than in winter.

Over long time period there is some small temperature increase from accumulation of dust and degradation of thermal paste, but so far the biggest influence I observed was simply from outside room temperature.

Also, Windows can sometimes mess up CPU temperatures by running its maintenance tasks in the background. Happens fairly often, can easily have one core under full load for some time.

caikovsky likes this.
  5. Prostar Computer

Prostar Computer Company Representative

Reputations:
    A system cleanup utility is a program that scans your drive(s) and allows you to get rid of unnecessary/unwanted data (or "junk data"). They can also scan your Windows registry and do the same for that. This is basically what Ccleaner is well known for. Glary Utilities is more of a suite, offering a number of other tools, but does what Ccleaner does as well.

If you're still having trouble, though, a reset might be next. I hate to recommend those because of how extreme they are, but they can often times save you a lot of time in troubleshooting.

6. caikovsky

Reputations:
    I don't think the thermal paste might be a problem because I own it for not even one full year. My room have a lot of dust, so I will check and clean my fans soon. I guess that might help a bit.
    Completely forgot about the temperature outside of the room. My room was indeed hotter.

Thank you, man! :)

7. rohit4684

rohit4684 Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    hi there,

just tried to update the BIOS, i copied the file to a USB drive and selected it in the BIOS update and not in the after we restart the system
    IT SAYS " WRONG IMAGE SIZE"

PLZ HELP

8. Kevin@GenTechPC

Kevin@GenTechPC Company Representative

Reputations:
    Check the file size and the version.
    What's your existing version? And what's the name of file?

9. At4nas

At4nas Newbie

Reputations:
    I used System Refresh and everything except the DoubleShot issue was fixed. I guess for now I could go without it.

Thank you!

10. caikovsky

Reputations:
    So, I have been doing a lot of research to keep my drivers up to date including BIOS, VBIOS and EC, but I don't find anywhere the lastest version of my BIOS or if it's compatible with my model.

I looked on MSI's website and on the support tab shows me: Capture.JPG
    But I went back on several posts here somebody said it is the "E16H5IMS.50B" version.

In addition, the BIOS on MSI's websites says about a fix on the 4K panel. My laptop model is not the one with 4K and I don't know if that changes anything.

I currently have the DMI BIOS Version as "E16H5IMS.504" running on a GS60 2QE.

Confusion defines me right now.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.