***The MSI GS60 Ghost Pro 970M Owner's Lounge***

Discussion in 'MSI Reviews & Owners' Lounges' started by charliex3, Oct 7, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. caikovsky

caikovsky Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Hi!

I bought my first MSI laptop last year from GenTech (awesome service!) and now I am thinking of upgrading my SSD. I purchased the GS60 Ghost Pro-606 5th gen and I was wondering how many ssd slots the laptop has, because my first idea is to keep the one that came with it and just adding another one. I did research but didn't find the info. :(

Thank you.

2. Kevin@GenTechPC

Kevin@GenTechPC Company Representative

Reputations:
    How did you flash it? In Windows or in BIOS?

Hi caikovsky, how are you?
    Your NB has 2x M.2 slots (SATA signal only, without PCIe signal) so the best SSD you can use is 850 Evo.
    Additionally, it has a 1x 2.5" SATA slot for HDD storage.

Let me know if you have any questions, thank you. :)

caikovsky likes this.
  3. caikovsky

Reputations:
    Also, would I be able to buy a 2.5'' SSD and put into the SATA slot for HDD storage? So I only have SSDs in my laptop?
    Thank you for your fast response!

4. Kevin@GenTechPC

Reputations:
    You can but since it's capped at SATA 2 but it will still be faster than a HDD nevertheless. So yeah if you don't mind 300MB/s then go for the upgrade.

caikovsky likes this.
  5. caikovsky

Reputations:
    Good to know, thank you. I'll see what I'm going to do. I don't want to void my warranty and mess up trying to put the SSD in, though. :(

6. rohit4684

rohit4684 Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:

7. Kevin@GenTechPC

Reputations:
    It's not hard but I can't speak about this from your point of view, however if you want you can talk to Ken and probably have it shipped to us so that we can take care of the upgrade for you.q

8. At4nas

At4nas Newbie

Reputations:
    Hi, I came upon this thread and have been reading for a while, so I decided to join for a bit.
    I got a MSI GS60 2QE Ghost Pro 4K around 6 months ago and have been using it since, mainly for gaming and video editing. The screen resolution has been changed to 1920x1080 so I can run games on higher settings without the chassis getting so hot that I can make an omelette on it. Also, I am using a DeepCool MultiCore X6 cooler, although it's not very effective sometimes (if anyone could share what cooler would be best, that'd be great). Overall great performance and looks, too bad the battery dies at the speed of light, though.

Unfortunately, there are a few things that have been bothering me for a while and I would like to seek advice from people who have owned or own a similar or the same laptop.
    1) Sometimes, even while simply browsing and using Skype, the temperature rises to about 60-70°C. I'm running only the absolutely necessary background programs and statistics show I'm using 9% of the Intel i7-5700HQ 2.70 GHz CPU and 4 GB of the 16 GB RAM.
    2) There's this weird spiking that appears when the Killer DoubleShot Pro is turned on. Music, videos, even the registering of the moving cursor stutter for a short amount of time when this function is active.
    3) Battery drain is abnormally high even when using only browser for watching videos and blogging. Many reviews show it to last around 3 hours for web browsing without videos but I don't even get 2 hours. It's even worse when videos are included and obviously a killer when a game or a photo/video editing software is on.
    3) OK, this one could be a bit unrelated but I think things could be connected, so... Long story short, I switched to an iPhone 4S two weeks ago and decided to transfer all my music from my previous cellphone. However, the iTunes system did not recognize the refreshed iPhone. The next day iTunes itself took around 5 minutes to start up and has been that way ever since. I tried using a new cable, re-installing iTunes and activating Bonjour (which appears to be active but is not detected as such).

Thank you.

Last edited: Apr 5, 2016
  9. Kevin@GenTechPC

Reputations:
    How long have you had your NB? Have you performed more than 500 cycles (charge, and discharge) on the battery itself during this ownership period?
    DoubleShot is a software feature therefore it can impact performance a bit, and it's always recommended to update the software via component manufacturer's website.
    [Download]
    You can use AIDA64 to verify battery's wear and tear level, it is presented to you as in percentile.
    It is also possible that the system isn't working as if it were fresh, you can consider going with a system refresh (without deleting your files) to regain the performance and stability.

10. Prostar Computer

Prostar Computer Company Representative

Reputations:
    Although this model can run a little warm, that temperature is still perfectly safe (albeit high for only 9% CPU load). You may want to check on the fans and heatsinks; anything backing them up (dust, pet hair, etc.) can cause high temps. It's possible the thermal compound needs reapplied, also.

Not sure if it will help, but can you reinstall/update both your Ethernet driver and your WLAN driver?

How long have you owned the system? Is your battery wear level high? (More intensive applications will always drain the battery noticeably faster; the advertised life you see is usually a depiction of conservative use.)

Probably not connected. It sounds like this might be a part of a series of software issues you're having, though. Have you tried removing running any system cleanup utilities (Ccleaner or Glary Utilities)? Worst case scenario is to run the recovery and start back at square one; if no problems with an out-of-the-box state, then you can go from there with testing for all these idiosyncrasies.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.