***The MSI GS60 Ghost Pro 970M Owner's Lounge***

Discussion in 'MSI Reviews & Owners' Lounges' started by charliex3, Oct 7, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Assault

Assault Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Not long at all, I just went to the usual sites i use for custom skins! Decalgirl and Skinit both had close choices to the size we need, but ultimately Skinit's "generic 17in" skin took the cake at 15.2" x 9.9" and now that its arrived so i can see actual comparison, it will go edge to edge on the gs60 almost flawlessly. I just had to trace a stencil for cutting out the MSI shield emblem, but once it's all cut tomorrow ill post pictures!

2. hyperlost

hyperlost Newbie

Reputations:
    My first thoughts for the GS60 ghost pro as a previous alienware 15 owner.

The built quality is excellent. I am impressed by it's weight, compared to others gaming notebooks (like the alienware I came from). Small size and low weight though, come at expense of battery life and (high) temperatures. The noise of the fan does not bother me. AW 15 is quieter in idle, but it has the same amount of noise when under load. Also, the air intake is on top, while in the AW 15 is underneath. You have visual contact with the fan and closer distance, that's why probably you may feel the noise is louder on MSI.

Temps... Only in one game (Ryse: Son of Rome) my GPU temps reached 90C+ and this was not so pleasant for me. Then I also got the wifi drop problem: read here and here. So I cannot recommend this notebook to those who want to play online games. For single players without the online need (Twich, walkthrough etc) is OK, but i find it a joke that MSI named that notebook "gaming". Wanted to validate it, so I run tests. For CPU stress (only) the temps go to 69 C (20 C room temperature). It's not so bad. The problem is when the GPU is under heavy load. So the cooling solution may cool the 45W TDP CPU but cannot cool the 100W GPU.

Screen... The screen is excellent like I was hoping. I have the 1080p version of 6QE. Mine has backlight bleeding but keep in mind that this is one of the brightest screens out there, so I expected to have the problem and consider this reasonable.

Battery life... well this is the biggest problem of this notebook (imo). You are going to have 2 to 3 hours of battery with the brightness in 20% for internet browsing. Less if watching youtube, streams, from 1.5 to 2.5 hours. If you want to leave the power brick home this is not the right notebook for this. But 20% brightness is way more that the average 40% of many notebooks out there, so at least this compensates me. The 1080p screen seems bright as hell!

That's all for now!

3. Yippee38

Yippee38 Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    I used my laptop on battery power for the first time a couple of weeks ago. I was surfing the web and listening to music via YouTube. I set the screen brightness to 10%. That was plenty in a room lit by flourescent lights (like a typical office envirionment). I used my laptop like this for over two hours and when I was done, it said I still had over an hour and a half left. I was very happy with that. If you can, try to use 10% screen brightness.

4. Assault

Assault Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Stickers are on :]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Feb 18, 2016
  5. Marlon Estella

Marlon Estella Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    Hi Everyone, took me awhile to read all 213 pages lol and get all caught up.
    Anyways I just purchased the broadwell 970m3GB FHD version. Laptop came preinstalled with Windows 8 and I want to upgrade to Windows 10.

Had a few questions

I wanted to upgrade to Windows 10, but I want to do a full clean installation (not an update).
    Would I still be able to download and install MSI software (specifically the fan control, keyboard RGB control, ethernet killerpro doubleshot, and Nahimic audio control)?
    Also would there be any issues with doing it this way?

Regarding reapplication of thermal paste, I've used IC Diamond on my desktop and I've had good results. But this is my first time reapplying thermal paste on a laptop. So my question is does thermal paste matter? Are there a huge difference in using IC Diamond on this laptop, or would something like MX-4 or 5 work?

Thanks again guys, and I can't wait until my laptop arrives tomorrow.

6. Prostar Computer

Prostar Computer Company Representative

Reputations:
    You... actually read... ALL 213 pages?? :vbeek:

Under "Utility" - just select your OS: https://us.msi.com/product/notebook/support/GS60-Ghost-Pro-GTX-970M-5.html#down-utility&Win10%2064 :vbsmile:

A full install is more of a hassle upfront, but tends to mitigate potential problems that sometimes come up from an upgrade install. Do the upgrade first so that your key is validated. After that, you can run through a full install.

In a high performance laptop? Yes, they matter. :vbwink: ICD is great. Gelid GC Extreme, Coolaboratory Liquid Ultra, and Thermal Grizzly Kryonaut have proven to be just as good, if not better.

7. Marlon Estella

Reputations:
    Thank you for the quick response.
    And yes I did end up reading all 200+ pages to make sure my questions aren't answered in any of the pages.

As far as using ICD, do I have to be more careful when using it on a laptop? Is the laptop die smaller than a desktop cpu?
    I just want to make sure I don't fry the laptop before even playing with it lol.

8. Prostar Computer

Prostar Computer Company Representative

Reputations:
    Oh, it's non-conductive, so if a little bit gets on the circuit board, you're okay! You may notice that, if you ever wipe it off, it will scratch the IHS on the CPU, as well as the copper heat sink. It's minor, but just FYI.

9. Marlon Estella

Reputations:
    Perfect! Thanks.

10. Marlon Estella

Reputations:
    Sorry 1 last question.
    Since IC Diamond is thicker than normal thermal paste, are the heatsinks good enough to evenly spread it?
    Or do you recommend manually spreading the paste?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.