***The MSI GS60 Ghost Pro 970M Owner's Lounge***

Discussion in 'MSI Reviews & Owners' Lounges' started by charliex3, Oct 7, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. aqnb

aqnb Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Newer GS60 models already got 60 Hz refresh for their 4K screens.

MSI tends to update notebooks with new things as they come, not just making well-defined models with fixed feature sets (e.g. I know somebody who bought an older model with one CPU listed, but what actually arrived had already newer CPU, also got that soft layer thing at the bottom of chassis to prevent burns that officially came only with newer models).

So it's possible your unit may have gotten already updated screen even while still being just Haswell version that used to come with 48Hz screen when it launched.

As far as I'm aware, the 4K screen itself always allowed for 60 Hz, it was something in MSI system board and/or drivers that limited it to 48 Hz. So that's probably what you've got.

2. litotes

litotes Newbie

Reputations:
    Would it be safe to say I have the 60hz version then?..

3. sz1a

sz1a Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    Am I the only one with GPU coil whine? Listen here (and turn up the volume, I recorded with my phone). I never heard of the 970M having this but getting it fixed involves tremendous amounts of hassle and spending over $100 on shipping.

If this isn't something to worry about and it won't degrade the lifetime of my notebook I can live with it (and save $100 and potentially long wait if 970M 6GB can't be had in Europe), but if it's bad I'd want it taken cared of. Can someone chime in considering this is a 970M and not a 970 whining and buzzing?

4. okica11

okica11 Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Hello all! Proud new owner of MSI GS60 6QE PRO here...(well owner for 2 weeks now). :)
    I would kindly ask ANY owner of GS60 6QE to MEASURE the HEIGHT of MIDDLE SCREW (see picture attached). I can't screw it back in.. well I can but it keep falling out. Thank you ! :) 123.jpg

5. sabesh

sabesh Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    What's the RGB gamut for the new 4K screen? I can't find the answer in any of the reviews. Thanks.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

Flav_cool likes this.
  6. Xeneize

Xeneize Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Just ordered an MSI with some sweet custom options, can't wait to get this new beast arriving next Friday.

I have a couple of questions for owners .

1) anyone use Adobe Lighroom with this laptop? Does the screen do an ok job ?

2) Longshor but anyone play Football Manager 2016? Any issues on this laptop?

3) can anyone share some fps on max settings with Rise of Tomb Raider and Dirt Rally

4) Is there an IPS 1080p option for this laptop? or is that just Origin PC offering it on their new EVO15-s?

5) What's the best option for a bag for this laptop, I prefer a messenger type bag

Thank you.

Last edited: Feb 6, 2016
  7. AhmedG6

AhmedG6 Newbie

Reputations:
    I'm seriously considering buying this laptop with 4k and 6th gen processor or the XPS 15.
    However I have couple of question that I would really appreciate any input

1. Considering this is a Thunderbolt 3 supported device, is it safe to assume that its eGPU certified like the XPS15? (major deciding factor)
    2. I will be watching alot of movies and TV shows and light causal gaming like Simcity/Cities:Skylines and Counterstrike, will yellowish 4k issue ruin the experience? and is it bright enough?
    3. I will be shipping this to Bahrain (Middle east), what vendors do you guys prefer for stress testing and to check for any issues or hardware defects and damages since shipping will cost 150usd alone.

( No MSI products available locally, or with 30-50% markup from retailers in neighboring countries so I prefer online)

Thanks in advance.

8. Kevin@GenTechPC

Kevin@GenTechPC Company Representative

Reputations:
    1. It is certified otherwise it cannot be implemented.
    https://thunderbolttechnology.net/product/msi-gs60-gaming-notebook

2. You won't know until you watch it and really compare it against something else.

3. Many vendors on the forum will ship to Bahrain, and surely every vendor performs stress tests prior to shipping the system out to customers.

AhmedG6 likes this.
  9. Chazra

Chazra Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Might be a bit of a long shot, me asking this question, but is there any chance I could replace the 4k 48hz panel in my laptop with the new one?

10. Chazra

Chazra Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Some games refuse to work with the 4k, even while turning down the resolution to 1080p, such as just cause 3. No matter what I tried, the only solution was to play it on a monitor.
    Yellowish 4k will not ruin the experience at all, but if you have an orange windows theme or the doge theme in chrome, it can look a bit odd.

I recommend xoticpc.

Also, if you are going to use an eGPU, it kind of defeats the purpose of such a powerful laptop, does it not?

AhmedG6 and Charles P. Jefferies like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.