***The MSI GS60 Ghost Pro 970M Owner's Lounge***

Discussion in 'MSI Reviews & Owners' Lounges' started by charliex3, Oct 7, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. okica11

okica11 Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    I found this https://forum-en.msi.com/index.php?topic=263388.0 I hope it helps and that you manage to install Windows.. Report back ;)

2. Nasseh

Nasseh Newbie

Reputations:
    EDIT: New issue. Does anyone else have their discrete gpu heating up for no reason?

It's under no stress, all I'm running is google chrome right now and yet it's at 55 C. When it gets to that temp the fans turn on for a few seconds, cool it back down to 52 C and then it rises again to 55 C, and the cycle repeats.

It's really bugging me.

Last edited: Jan 15, 2016
  3. be77solo

be77solo pc's and planes

Reputations:
    The 150W Razer brick works great, use it when I travel.

4. Alpha1983

Alpha1983 Newbie

Reputations:
    Hi everyone,
    I'm seeying a drastic performance drop on my GS60 6QE when updating the nvidia drivers from the stock 353.74 to the latest 361.43. I've tried running the 3DMark11 to verify and got a 9300 score where the usual was 9600 or above. This is also noticeable when running some games, as it gets choppy in areas that would otherwise run fine. Reverting the drivers has made my system run nicelly again, but I wonder why has this happened. Is it that the current release of the nvidia drivers has some internal issue or some other reason? Has anybody else experienced the same problem?

5. aqnb

aqnb Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    No problems so far with Nvidia driver 361.43 here: GS60 2QE, Windows 8.1.

I don't track 3dmark11 performance but 3dmark firestrike got slightly better with the latest drivers.

Though my max scores were several driver versions before so regresses can and do happen. That said, over longer time periods performance generally gets better - stock drivers from about year ago were noticeably slower than any recent drivers.

If you get performance drop somewhere where it matters for you (some games/apps may get better, other may get worse with the same driver update, Nvidia does game-specific fixes), just downgrade drivers and then you can try again when new version comes (usually at least once a month).

6. hmscott

hmscott Notebook Nobel Laureate

Reputations:
    If you have the Nvidia Global 3d setting Power Management Mode set to Prefer Maximum Performance instead of Adaptive, change it back to default (Adaptive).

Nvidia Manage 3D Global settings.JPG

In some situations, with some driver releases, the GPU frequency will lock high. You can check this out with GPU-Z in the Monitoring / Sensors tab.

7. Alpha1983

Alpha1983 Newbie

Reputations:
    Thanks a bunch aqnb.
    By the way, any idea were can I find the serial number of my graphic card? To avoid voiding the warranty I don´t want to open the computer, but currently Nvidia is giving away games to people who have bought the 970m or bigger and I'd like to claim the game.
    I've already tried with the one displayed in the device manager on windows 10 but no luck.

8. aqnb

aqnb Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    As far as I'm aware, these type of promotions are handled by notebook sellers, it's not something between notebook owners and Nvidia.

That is: the place where you bought your notebook from needs to have a deal with Nvidia. If you bought your notebook in the right place at the right time, you will get a code which can be then used at Nvidia site to redeem Steam code (participating shops are often explicitly listed).

If you didn't get a code right away with your notebook, you may ask your notebook seller if they could send you one.

But it's not guaranteed you can get it just because you got notebook with GPU mentioned in Nvidia promotional info. Shop needs to participate, they must not had run out of codes and you must do it in particular window of time (purchase vs promotion date).

For example when I bought my GS60, there was a big media campaign about Witcher 3 being included with particular Nvidia GPUs but my notebook shop wasn't participating so I couldn't get it.

9. tjc2005

tjc2005 Newbie

Reputations:
    Hello again, I was thinking... Do any of you actually use the USB-Type C port? (Thunderbolt 3?) if so, with what, a usb 3 hub? file transfers? It is supposed to be the "one port/cable to do it all", how so?

Obviously, I'm not using it currently, I was just wondering how it is better to have 2 USB 3's and a Type-C vs 3 USB 3's... I know it is more future proof so the idea being you only need one USB-Type C? but really, what even uses this port at the moment?, it's not like I can get better transfers from my existing portable HDD's.

Thanks.

10. Foreigner

Foreigner Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    What level of brightness do you guys prefer? (I guess it also depends on the brightness in the room from other sources, but please share.)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.