***The MSI GS60 Ghost Pro 970M Owner's Lounge***

Discussion in 'MSI Reviews & Owners' Lounges' started by charliex3, Oct 7, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Kevin@GenTechPC

Kevin@GenTechPC Company Representative

Reputations:
    Coil whine is caused by weak PWM, it has to be replaced to be rid of.
    It won't cause other issues in the mean time so it is safe to use.
    You can also try reducing GPU frequency to see if the noise can be silenced or not.

2. vfive

vfive Newbie

Reputations:
    I live in russia and the model is 6qe-040xru with skylake processor

3. okica11

okica11 Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Can anyone please try this :) ?
    1)if you have DDR-4 RAM make a RAMdisk and show us numbers for read and write speeds (I'm interested in comparing those to NVMe ssds)
    2)find fastest SD card you have (UHS-III anyone :D ?) and run Crystal Disk Mark or something similar so we will know speeds for SD card reader

Thanks

4. Yippee38

Yippee38 Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    I found a sleeve that works really well, so I wanted to post it so others know about it.
    http://www.amazon.com/Case-Logic-LA...id=1452118751&sr=8-1&keywords=case+logic+15.6

I'm really regretting not buying this laptop from XoticPC or GenTechPC. I'm not having any luck installing Windows 7 on this thing. I cannot get the Win7 install to recognize the NVME SSD.

5. okica11

okica11 Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    I think that first you have to manage the partition in windows (if you still have windows installed go to search->create and format disk partitions. If not first install windows somewhere). There you should find "unlocated" disk - your NVME SSD. Make it a partition. Then try to install windows again as you want. Don't forget to format disk with windows (otherwise you are creating dual boot :) ) . I think you will see the drive then ;) .

PS. Reading that you are trying to instal windows 7 made me thing that it might be unsupported drivers or maybe hardware/software issue with msi-windows-SSD. I'm just guessing.

I DON'T have that problem nor did I solve it that way.. I'm just thinking that could solve your problem. Good luck!

6. Yippee38

Reputations:
    So you're saying I should try installing Windows 7 on the HDD, then get the SSD working and recognized in Win7. The re-install to the SSD? That might work. Maybe.

7. Prostar Computer

Prostar Computer Company Representative

Reputations:
    You may need to modify your Windows 7 setup to include the NVME hotfix if you want to install Win 7 onto it. Natively, it (Win 7) doesn't support/recognize NVME drives without that patch.

8. Kevin@GenTechPC

Kevin@GenTechPC Company Representative

Reputations:
    Here's the hotfix patch.
    https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/2990941

9. Yippee38

Reputations:
    Thanks guys. I came to that conclusion myself this morning. I tried slipstreaming it into the Win7 install disk, but I was not successful. I'm going to try it again. Hopefully, this will go better.

10. Meaker@Sager

Meaker@Sager Company Representative

Reputations:
    Did you mean VRM? It's not really weakness so much as a certain set of values causing resonance.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.